no post in a year...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Arkansas

Old 12-08-2010, 06:12 AM   #1
im2smart4u
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

no post in a year...

It is quite pathetic that the last post on the Arkansas board was over a year ago. I know there are at least a couple of aquarium clubs in Arkansas, so where are you people.
im2smart4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
rpddink
Algae Grower

reading. learning.
rpddink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:28 AM   #3
gtu2004
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

haha, so funny. see you guys again end of this year.
gtu2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
pbowerman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default Not in a club, but..........

alive and kicking in Springdale. I have 2 high light co2 tanks and 1 low light non co2 tank. My favorite fish are apistos, west africans, angelfish, and anything that eats algae.

I'd be interested in hearing what kinds of plants you guys grow, your lights, set-up, the fish you keep, etc.
pbowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
im2smart4u
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have nothing special. I have a 5 gallon hex with a few plants and some blue pearl shrimp. Substrate is Eco Complete black and lighting is a 13w spiral cfl. I have a 16 gallon with stock lighting and black flourite sand that currently has a betta and 2 guppies in it (trying to decide what to do with it). I have a medium light 25 gallon. It is the one I was asking about for the striped kribs. It has 14wx2 T5NO for lighting. It has black Activ-Flora for substrate. Right now it has the pair of P. Taeniatus, 5 Australian Rainbows, 2 Threadfin Rainbows, a small Clown Pleco, and about 5 otos.

I also have an 85-90 hex tank with stand and a 125 gallon tank with stand both sitting empty in my living room. I have thought about selling the hex. My plans with the 125 are to lightly plant it and stock it with blue pinoy angels, turquoise rainbows, and some sort of blue dwarf cichlid (I know, that is a lot of blue :P). I know I will end up with a pair of either german blue or electric blue rams in there. What I would REALLY love to get my hands on is a blue form of the apistogramma agassizi.
im2smart4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #6
Regenesis
Planted Member

Its just that theres not many aquarist in Arkansas, but I found most of the ones I know are great aquarist. I am from Arkansas, Cabot to be exact.

Been to NSA (Northside aquatics)? Really great fish store. Always has a great variety of stock and tanks. The newest of their tanks are the Fluval Flora and 2.5 gallon nano tank from Fluval. They also got some kind of planted tank kit from Ehiem, very pricey. If you are interested in Apistogramma agassizi (Blue form), try and see if they have anything close (They do have pairs of Apistogramma Agassizi Double Red) or it itself (If they dont have em', they will sure be able to try to get some if you order).
Regenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:35 AM   #7
Batt4Christ
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regenesis View Post
Its just that theres not many aquarist in Arkansas, but I found most of the ones I know are great aquarist. I am from Arkansas, Cabot to be exact.

Been to NSA (Northside aquatics)? Really great fish store. Always has a great variety of stock and tanks. The newest of their tanks are the Fluval Flora and 2.5 gallon nano tank from Fluval. They also got some kind of planted tank kit from Ehiem, very pricey. If you are interested in Apistogramma agassizi (Blue form), try and see if they have anything close (They do have pairs of Apistogramma Agassizi Double Red) or it itself (If they dont have em', they will sure be able to try to get some if you order).
Actually there's a lot of folks who keep fish tanks in Arkansas. We use to have some pretty good lfs years ago... But they have slowly faded away. Some is from the WalMart factor, some from the big-box stores (Petsmart/Petco), and some from bad management. Regardless, here in Central Arkansas/Little Rock area - the pickin's are slim.

I remember fondly Fin & Feather (R street, a block off Cantrel). They usually had a good selection and some reasonable knowledge. They had a 250g tank with a silver arowana and a huge pacu. Was fun to watch feeding time!

There was a VERY well stocked fish store in Jacksonville (the old K-mart shopping center). Their prices for hardware was better than some of the other places -but the huge fish room, kept dark so the only light was from the tanks... always an incredible selection.

And there use to be a fair pet/aquarium store out I30 in SW Little Rock.

And what ever became of Bill's Pets on Rodney Parham?
Batt4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:40 AM   #8
Batt4Christ
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbowerman View Post
alive and kicking in Springdale. I have 2 high light co2 tanks and 1 low light non co2 tank. My favorite fish are apistos, west africans, angelfish, and anything that eats algae.

I'd be interested in hearing what kinds of plants you guys grow, your lights, set-up, the fish you keep, etc.
I remember a pretty cool lfs in Fayetteville... still there? I cannot recall the name, it has been 15 years.
Batt4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:51 AM   #9
Suenell
Algae Grower

Send a message via ICQ to Suenell Send a message via Yahoo to Suenell

Hiya! I've lived in AR for a year now, in Lamar which is 1/2 way between Ft. Smith & Little Rock. I'm a basic aquarium lover, nothing fancy.

I've got a 5g in the bathroom on the ledge of the jet tub so when I'm having a therapy session for my back pain, I can stare into it for some real relaxation. In this little tank I've got about 5 Guppies, 1 loach, 1 "catfish", 1 Plecto, 1 Mollie & 1 large snail. It has a gravel/sand substrate with a nice healthy plant & some long stringy feathery moss that seems to grow quite well in there.

(Sorry but I have severe heart disease & a medically recognized memory problem because of restricted blood flow so I forget stuff all the time & can't remember the names of them or specifically named fish species. Sometimes I have a brilliant flash of memory & remember but mostly not.)

I also have a neat little triangular 1.5g plastic "aquarium" between my bathroom's 2 sinks. I have a nice fat-bodied goldfish in it. He loves to do the shimmy at the corner every time I walk through the bathroom for me to stop & talk while I treat him with 2 or 3 pellets. 8-)

My favorite is my 55g in the living room. I'm proud to say I got everything but the fish, water & plants from a CraigsList $120 sale! It is my first live-planted tank.

The left rear corner has some plants called Wisteria; along the back are several beautiful large leaved plants that are very happy (same as the 1 in my 5g in the bathroom); and I think I have a Crypt & a couple of bulbs that's sprouted & hopefully will make it.

The aquarium has a double hood with a fluorescent plant light in each. Hanging off the back is 2-double filters, I also have an internal pump on the right wall that gives extra aeration across the tank.

I have a pea-sized gravel substrate & have just recently fertilized my plants with several little frozen Osmocote cubes placed here & there at the bases of the plants.

In this tank I have 1 angel, 1 frog, 1 Plecostamus (?), 3 or 4 "catfish", a couple big snails, a few loaches, 3 or 4 Neon Tetras, 2 Fire Tetras, 5 Tiger Tetras, 5 Guppies, & 5 Mollies.

At morning & then at night, I give my fish a feeding of a homemade tossed blend of freeze-dried blood worms cubes (torn apart), dried shrimp, frog pellets, 2 different kinds of flakes & a pelleted fish food (forgot the name).

I do so love my fish! They are a great stress & pain reliever, watching them in their own peaceful world.

I think it would be great fun to have a get together here & there to see each other's tanks & if we have an abundance of plants, to share them with one another.

I am a child of God, not of religion.

~*~ Our faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God ~*~
Suenell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:10 AM   #10
LoachnBow
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/80%)

Hello all,
I'm from Little Rock.
I think most people here in Arkansas keep saltwater stuff (at least everyone I came across). I did ask some of the people why not try a planted tank, and the usual response I get is "its boring", "not enough movement", "saltwater is easier".
I myself never have any success with plants up until this year. Been doing research about it since I started keeping fish about 5 years ago and just now getting a hang of it.
I also just obtained a fine colony of rainbowfish from a reputable breeder and looking to try my hand with that.
If anyone looking to share some knowledge, trade, or just have conversation about fish/plants in general just hit me up!
LoachnBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:12 AM   #11
Chard56

I'm in Harrison if you'd like to do some trading.
Chard56 is offline   Reply With Quote