The Planted Tank Forum banner

Glasscages.com?

2K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  zackariah 
#1 ·
So I've been toying with planted tanks for a few months now. I'm ready to put together a setup, from the ground up. First step is the tank. Has anyone used glasscages.com? I'm looking at rimless w/starglass. I'm moving to palm springs ca. In June so local suggestions there would be nice too.

#3 ·
For such a cheap price, it probably isn't as good of quality as something a little more expensive. Not to say that it won't last or hold water, but the silicone work probably won't be as neat and various other small things like that.

I personally haven't used glasscages.com though, so it could very well be a different story.

#5 ·
Hit or miss. A friend of mine cancelled an order recently since they kept pushing out the delivery date on a custom build. Eventually they refunded his money without any argument...good, but it also means they likely never even started his tank since they say no refunds on custom tanks.

I know someone else that promptly sold their new tank because the silicone job was a bit sloppy. Essentially... you get what you pay for. They're decent if your expectations match the price you're willing to pay.

#6 ·
I purchased a 50g tank from them not to long ago for my breaded dragon and I have no complaints yet. The only thing is they dont ship unless you want to pay like $250 for insurance and etc but they do deliver to a lot of different states for $30 or so and they usually will go to your location once a month.

#8 ·
I've gotten two tanks from them and although they have held up well the silicon was very sloppy. I live in the same town they are located in and thought i would stop by one day when they were having a walk in day. I was basically run off by an older lady. She told me that nobody was allowed there even though there website said that you could come by and look at there showroom for discounted tanks. The place looks like a something out of a horror movie anyways. Don't think i'll go that route again.

#15 ·
So why did the ADA tank's seams bust out in less than 5 years on multiple tanks then and I've yet to hear this with GC tanks?

The silicone job might be sloppy, but you can trim this up some, but a pretty tank that falls apart is not worth much at all.

I go with custom made local builders and then tell them what I want and these tanks last.

that said, my 180 Gallon from GC is still doing quite well, the silicone was sloppy, the cut on one panel sloppy, but at least the tank's seams never busted. Cost? 1/3rd ADA or the custom builder.

#16 ·
Personally I'd rather have a tank that cost less and has "sloppy" silicone but holds up. ADA you're paying for the name mostly.

#19 ·
What size? That would help a lot to the advise that is being offered. When I was looking for a 48x18x18 starphire glass tank, I checked them all out including glasscages. For me ADA was the cheapest and it had the name for resale value. If I was looking for a bigger tank, this would be a whole different story.

Check out Lee Mar aquariums. I'm surprised Tom hasn't suggested them. I've see them up close and they are every bit as good as ADA if not better. I say better because they come with a "garden mat" pre-cut to size and it's attached to the bottom. ADA should tank note to this.

#21 ·
i have had a 180gal rimless (4'x3', 24" high) from glasscagescom for about 6 months now. the silicon is very neat, extra bracing on the bottom, with custom overflow, and in perfect condition. and that this size tank was made from 3/4" plate glass, it is truly built like a tank, and quite heavy. i paid a little extra to have it delivered to my job, so that i had access to a fork truck to unload it (considering that the tank weighed about 420 pounds or so).

when the wife allows, i will be getting another large tank from them.

#24 ·
Antbug the size I'm thinking about is 36x36x18. I looked up lee mar. They only deal to retail stores. Thanks for all the replies. It seems that maybe ordering the the glass as nwa has suggested would be my best bet. It is true in most cases you get what you pay for. But in the case of the newest Jordan shoes what are you paying for? I admit the ADA tanks look good but I've also seen others that look just as good with out the tacky ADA emblem. I will contact gc to see if they have a drop off near me. I'm currently in el paso. Thanks again for all the input.

Thanks plantbrain ill check them out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.