The Planted Tank Forum banner

African Dwarf Frogs!

11K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  DTDPlanted 
#1 ·
Okay, who has and loves these little guys? John Snow and Sam are the little comics in my community tank. I feed them in my hand in the tank, they now swim to my hands even if I am just planting something looking for food. Makes it a lot easier because I have little hoovers in my tank (Cory cats and ghost shrimp) that eat EVERYTHING before my little guys get a chance.

Post a picture and why you love these guys :-D

My cat Surreal playing with ADF John Snow (I think its John and not Sam, but I didn't label the pic when I took it... WHOOPS)

See less See more
#35 · (Edited)
I just got a little 5 gal. What kind of space do two frogs need? I imagine they do better with a buddy so I don't want to isolate an animal. The tank came with a little hang on filter and I plan on aerating the water with surface agitation (saves me an outlet and I want a lower water level for the frogs anyway). I'll need a heater, of course. Is this an adequate setup?

Last, are snails compatible?

#41 ·
Snails are totally compatible. My ADFs, till I get more, are in a community fish tank. They live with Cory cats, ghost shrimp, nerites, and Rasboras.
I'm currently building a tank just for them, and a new one for my spoiled betta lol.

#39 ·
I started slow, would put my hand near them at the same time I fed them with either tongs or a dropper.
Once they were used to both my hands being there I'd flatten out my non-food hand and then wiggle worms above my hand instead of right in their face. They would get curious and crawl over and eat. I'd keep my hand very still at this point.
Next step I did the same thing, but I'd curl my fingerd up and make a cup. When they were use to that I'd then slowly raise my hand to have a better angle to feed them.
This is where my two frogs differed, Sam realized that Hand=food and would swim over right away to investigate me. John Snow has always been more skittish, so it took a few extra weeks of me with a steady hand for him to be comfortable with the thought of me being able to move him. While he was being a big baby Sam would jump into my hand and beg for food... What a pig lol.

Now I can stick my hand in the tank and they swim over and I can drop pellets and worms and stuff right on their heads lol. Their comedy is so worth getting my hands wet for.

#38 ·
Any experience keeping them in a fluval edge? there is about a 6" square opening to air at the top of the tank and the rest is sealed by glass, I COULD leave just a bit of air room but that kind of defeats the purpose of the nice clear view to the bottom the glass gives when its filled completely. Any thoughts on whether they would be smart enough to find that opening all the time? I don't want them to drown :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.