The Planted Tank Forum banner

African Dwarf Frogs!

11K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  DTDPlanted 
#1 ·
Okay, who has and loves these little guys? John Snow and Sam are the little comics in my community tank. I feed them in my hand in the tank, they now swim to my hands even if I am just planting something looking for food. Makes it a lot easier because I have little hoovers in my tank (Cory cats and ghost shrimp) that eat EVERYTHING before my little guys get a chance.

Post a picture and why you love these guys :-D

My cat Surreal playing with ADF John Snow (I think its John and not Sam, but I didn't label the pic when I took it... WHOOPS)

See less See more
#2 ·
I love them. I'd never keep them in my tanks because of the crays.

I'd caution you about keeping them with ghost shrimp. Those clear guys are mean!

From MABJ's iPhone
2G Fluval Spec ~ fauna and flora in the works!

#5 ·
Haha thanks, its always tough to get the tank and my cat in the shot. Especially with my phone.

They kinda act stoned too Haha. That's part of their charm.

#4 ·
Haha my ghost shrimp actually hide, they get beat up and a lot by the cories lol. They zoom out for food, grab the biggest pieces and run away before the Cory cats knock them over for food. Haha.

Eventually I'm going to get them their own tank, and add a girl too, and maybe get babies! (one day)

#9 ·
This is Spider-Man, green goblin and hobgoblin!
View attachment 54769
Ahhh! What cute names, I love it! As a geek it made me squee with happiness!

Have your ADFs ever gotten tangled in that moss? I don't keep freefloating moss anymore because my silly little frogs would lay in it, and then proceed to fail at getting back out, so they'd drag it all over the tank with them... Just like me and tangled blankets, Hahaha.

#11 ·
Here's a tip if you want to get them in a state you need a permit.

Have a person from another state buy them from you.

If you live in NJ you needa person who lives in NY,PA ect to buy for you. This way you won't need a permit. They need proof too like Drivers License.

#13 ·
That's a good question since they breathe air. I don't know. They sell them everywhere in my city, LFS, Petsmart, and PetCos all carry them

#20 ·
I had these for a few months, they were cute little guys. I RAOKed them not too long ago to make room form shrimps but they're great little guys/gals.

When I sent my frogs to the buyer, I double bagged a ziploc and pumped air into it with my aquarium air pump. It then went in a styro foam lined box. It must have worked pretty well cause the package got delayed at the airport for 2 days and they still maid it.

#23 ·
We get them delivered at Petsmart in a large bag with mostly air and barely any water, the guys usually come in fine, no real harm. But i do notice they will start to get frisky and get out of the tank if they are too stressed.

#26 ·
Well it depends on the time of year. In the summer and hot months, we have a personal deliver driver who goes store to store and delivers the fish. Ours is a complete idiot and will toss boxes of fish like they are bags of dog food. But in the winter they come on the trucks with our normal shipments. Every store and district is different and i'm referring to our district (southern NC, northern SC) specifically.

#28 ·
We do and i believe the fish are shipped to a local distributor, then by personal carrier to the store. Our driver delivers to 3 stores a day.

#30 ·
I have a few questions.
I Was thinking of getting those newt things (Black and orangeish), or maybe african dwarfs, but im a bit worried. If they manage to escape my mother *WILL* Kill me. Guaranteed she'll make me take down all of my tanks.
Are these africans escape artists? Do i need a secure top o_0? cause i have a broken door on one of the glass tops that it can get out of, plus the backs arent secure.
Also, do they require somewhere above land to chill at? Or are they alright with just water and the long leaves and stuff i have that reach the top of the tank and float on the top?
#1 concern would be of them getting away somehow. Honestly, i was never a fan of reptiles and snakes. They creep me out. I Used to collect frogs and turtles in buckets out of a stream in my old yard, though. So long as those dont touch me im alright. Dont think id be able to grab a normal frog.. but, i seem to be alright when they are IN THE WATER :p.. For example, when fishing i get iffy about touching my catch unless i have a towel or something, but i have no problem touching the fish in my tank as well as the snails and stuff.. doesnt bug me. Hell, ill stick my hand in my fish tank and then lick my hand Haha. Only thing i wouldnt get is an eel :Z

So, would they work for me or is it a no-go?

#31 ·
ADF are completely aquatic. They do not need any land areas. They will perch on something high up and stick their little heads out of the water or float at the top. Mine really seem to like to hang out in the floating plants in their tank.

I haven't ever tried to touch my ADF. I understand that they are pretty sensitive and absorb everything through the skin, so I really wouldn't want to chance it.

I have heard that they can escape the tank, but I have not experienced this myself. I have always kept them with apple snails though, so I generally leave 1-2 inches at the top of the tank with no water. (The snails need to crawl up the glass out of the water from time to time and will lay their eggs there.) I do keep a lid on the aquarium, but there is certainly enough of a gap for one to get out if he wanted to do so. I have not ever had a frog escape.

I have had a snail escape. I found him a good three feet from the tank on the bar. I suspect the cat may have helped him. I just plopped him back into the tank and he was fine.

I've never kept newts, so I can't say anything about those.

#33 ·
I have heard that they can escape the tank, but I have not experienced this myself.
I've never heard of ADF escapees, but I have heard of ACF houdinis. African Clawed Frogs grow to be the size of your hands and are renowned escape artists.
Also, don't be fooled by "Albino African Dwarf Frogs". These are mislabeled and are actually "Albino African Clawed Frogs".

#32 ·
I have these guys and one time they climbed out of the water and kinda just stuck onto the class like maybe spiderfrog hahaha. I guess as long as it is moist they can leave the water. I have read accounts of them climbing up onto floating driftwood or styrofoam and hanging out. Problem is some people have also said that if they forget to climb back in the water, they will die. Not sure how true it is, but mine have climbed out before and it's so funny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.