The Planted Tank Forum banner

First planted tank ever.

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  iplants 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I thought I would share my first planted tank. It is a 10 gallon regular tank. Nothing fancy. I decided to plant low light maintenance plants:

Bacopa carolina
crypt spiralis
dwarf onion
crypt undulata
anubia
brazilian pennywort
amazon sword (arrive too tall so I cut some of it off after this pic)
Cabomba

I used flourite as a substrate because it was easily available. I added three pieces of driftwood, one is covered in riccia. I dose with flourish comp. and API CO2 booster. I'm not all that experienced so I'm not dosing with a diffuser or anything. I also have 2 10 watt 6500k bulbs. Since this pic the Bacopa melted away though there is new growth. the spiralis has been removed and I added a smaller amazon sword. The undulata isn't doing too well either.

I hope I can get some feedback, but please be nice:). I know it probably sucks lol. I have done research and would love to gain some knowledge on this wonderful passion!

I think next time I might try eco complete or fluval I really want to get a black substrate! (trying to get my hands on Aquasoil).

If you have tips/suggestions please let me know! definitely open to learning! :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like a good start, no algae yet! The plants look pretty happy too. I'd suggest sloping the gravel either high in back, or irregularly, to give the tank a less homogenous feel. Try to keep the tall stuff in the back, maybe add a small foreground, and/or midground plant that will thrive under your lighting + ferts setup. I feel like the tank has too much "big stuff" for a 10 gallon, you need some really small fish, and some really small plants to make the tank not look so small. Some suggestions: 1)Pygmy chain swords (e. tennellus), maybe glossostigma, maybe penny wort or a hydrocotyl species. Just make sure it doesn't take high lighting and CO2.

#3 ·
Good job! I still have some questions, though. I'm assuming that your lights are Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFL). I had Hair and Blue-green algae blooms and among other things I had to lower the photoperiod (the time your tank lights are on over 24 hours. I also have a 10g and 2 10 watt CFLs.

I agree with all of the aquascaping advice. I would try to replace the Amazon Sword because they really normally are taller than 12" and they're a big plant for a 10g.

There are differing opinions on the use of "liquid carbon" treadments, e.g., API CO2 booster. As a substitute for that you can think about raising your lights or possibly swap out the bulbs for lower wattage bulbs.

Take care and please post any more questions. Have a good time.

#4 ·
Thank you guys! I'm definitely getting rid of that amazon sword. Way too tall. I didn't read the small font where it said the height. lol. I'm thinking I definitely will add some slope. So i'm going to take what I can out except the crypt (don't want to disturb it).

How would I be able to raise the lighting with the hood? Would I have to buy a new system? I might upgrade later to one of those rimless nice ADA tanks or something. I see everyone else and I'm like "WOW" I want it!!!! LOL

Thanks for the tips!!! I appreciate so much!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.