The Planted Tank Forum banner

Questions About Phoenix Water

5K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Eowyn 
#1 ·
Hi there :)

I may be moving to Phoenix. It isn't a certainty, but I like Being Prepared. Towards that end, what kind of water is out there? This aids me in figuring out what kind of tanks I could set up in the new place. Sourced from well or city in North Phoenix, Peoria, Deer Valley areas.

Very hard, very soft, high/low pH, etc?

Any info would be grand. Thanks!

#2 ·
I'm sorry that I don't have really good numbers, and I'm not from that area, but in general the water from the aquifers around here is quite hard and moderate to high pH. Further north I'd expect the same hardness with slightly lower pH.

It might be useful for you to know that the vast majority of AZ water (and all Phoenix and Metro-phoenix water) is not treated with Chloramine or ammonia. More often it's ozonized (which is all dispersed by the time it gets to your house) and chlorinated.

#8 ·
Awesome. Here in Atlanta, the water is super super soft. And slightly acidic. Great for some things but not so much with African rifters without futzing with additives and things.

If I do end up moved out there, I will probably end up making the large tank a rift tank, and then do R/O water on a small tank for some shrimpies and plants :)

#12 ·
I live in Peoria, and never even considered using tap since I am not even willing to drink it. It tastes horrible. I have also noticed that when you fill up something large like a bathtub the water has a very blue tint to it, which would be bad in a tank.

I did however just test my tap water for you, but I didn't have any prime or anything on hand, so the chlorine could have messed up the results?

pH - 7.6
Gh - 15 degrees
Kh - <60 degrees (I didn't want to keep wasting solution)

If you need any other tests let me know, but some pet stores here sell really good water for a reasonable price.

#14 ·
I live in Mesa. I had a 53G back east for 15 years. This is going to be a new road. I also had a huge perennial garden. Lol to that one here.All kidding aside,I would really appreciate any help. I'd like to get a 70 G.
Should I look at used? Are there any good aquarium shops? Should I consider real plants and what type of fish? I used to have a community tank, but I guess that would be a challenge here. Consider no advice stupid or irrelevant. I feel like a fish out of water here...in more ways than one. Do you know of any local aquarium groups? I want to be well prepared before I do this and spend a lot of money. My husband is not a big supporter of this endeavor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.