The Planted Tank Forum banner

Shrimp in AZ Tap Water

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  bsmurray 
#1 ·
This is a question for the Phoenix-area folk. Anybody have any experience with keeping shrimp in treated Phoenix-area tap water? I live in Tempe and would like to start keeping shrimp. I use tap water.

Additionally, will any common freshwater shrimp breed in Phoenix-area tap water? I'd like to keep shrimp that will grow in number and sustain the population.

#2 ·
I have some red cherry shrimp in straight treated city water. They seem to do fine, good color and breeding.
I had some Mischling shrimp in a Walstad style shrimp bowl. They lasted about 3 months. I also tried some CRS and they all died pretty quick.

From my experience RCS are the only ones that can handle our hard, 8.0pH water. I would be interested to see if anyone else has some input.

#4 ·
I have about 800 Cherry shrimp now. I started them in treated city tap water at around a 50 or so population. They did okay with an estimated 5% mortality rate and the population stayed steady or even gained a little. I switched to remineralized R/O water a while back and my population exploded and I've seen less deaths (perhaps a placebo). I also made other changes regarding my shrimp including feeding regimes and I also went 100% moss in my shrimp only tanks.

Anyway, RCS will do just fine in city tap, but they could do better with R/O.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.