The Planted Tank Forum banner

Dirt's too... Dirty

2K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  TwoTacoCombo 
#1 ·
Well, i feel like dirt just isnt working out for me, it's leaching too many nutrients into the water column, and that + Direct Sunlight is creating so much algea i dont know any other potion, but change the substrate, no price is really out of my range. I've been looking at Eco Complete, also theres some at Petsmart i've looked at.

So basically... Whats everyones favorite substrate for a planted tank?

I could also go just gravel or sand and root tabs, i don't mind that idea at all.

Yet another thing, if anyone has any tips on getting aout most of my Trumpet snails from the substrate to change it out, i would love to know those.

#8 ·
To get the snails out of your substrate, take a soda bottle, put a slice of zucchini in it, submerge it, and wait overnight, you'll have a bunch of them in there in the morning, do this 2-3 nights in a row, you'll get most of them, for even better results cut the top off, and invert it, to make a trap, you can search the site, on how to do this

#10 ·
My favorite is Flourite.

As it contains no nutrients, it can neither leach them nor become depleted. Nutrients will stick to it where roots can easily access them (CEC property), and although it's not the best at this, it's still far better than gravel or sand; use of root tabs can provide additional benefit, but aren't required. Doesn't turn to mud after a few years, requiring another investment and tank teardown.

Gives you total control over nutrient levels. Depending on your point of view, this is either a blessing or a curse.

#11 ·
My favorite is Flourite.

As it contains no nutrients, it can neither leach them nor become depleted. Nutrients will stick to it where roots can easily access them (CEC property), and although it's not the best at this, it's still far better than gravel or sand; use of root tabs can provide additional benefit, but aren't required. Doesn't turn to mud after a few years, requiring another investment and tank teardown.

Gives you total control over nutrient levels. Depending on your point of view, this is either a blessing or a curse.
I never really looked at flourite, i like the fact that it doesn't leach nutrients, my only question though is what will it run me? i'll need enough for a 40 gal tall (30 in long)

#12 ·
40lb bag of saf t sorb $4.50 at tractor supply. Dose or add root tabs as needed.

A well formulated soil is better than any other substrate when it comes to growing plants, but it's a PITA if you ever want to rescape or pull out a heavy rooter.

#14 ·
I like this... now Petsmart Has seachem flourite plant substrate, any takes on that? it would be way easier because i could go there and get it instead of having it shipped.

I also really like the idea of the sand and root tabs, i do have a tractor supply and all that good stuff close, now i have to make a more preference based decision, i wanted a darker substrate, but in the big picture that isn't too much of a bother if it doesn't happen, and something that won't leach nutrients into the water column, helping keep a check on algea.

Another thing to note is that i have several heavy root feeders that i really value, a brazilian sword and red indian as well as 5 or 6 healthy old Amazons, so i want something that can take care of that, i could add root tabs to the flourite for these.

#16 ·
Flourite, turface, saf t sorb and (some) oil dri are all basically the same thing. The latter will strip KH initially (it's supposed to), not sure if flourite does or doesn't.
I have never heard of flourite doing that, but my knowledge is limited, im leaning towards flourite right now, but i still don't know.

#22 ·
Yeah, plant it heavier. Throw some water wisteria or some other fast growing plant in it to absorb the excess nutrients

That was my 1st thought too. You don't mention what cap you have over the dirt?

If you read every thread on Dirted tank problems you start to see some common points. Lack of frequent water changes (you on that one), Gravel vs. Sand caps, and lightly planted tanks or moderate planting with slow growing plants.

I think the Sand preforms a function in that there is a think "seal" of the finest sand that sits on the dirt. I belie that slows down the nutrient flow into the water column in a way that gravel just can not do. I'm unaware of any natural body of water were gravel pebbles sit directly on dirt.

Even with sand you need to keep the nutrients in the water column in balance. Plant mass & water changes address that.

I feel the biggest error people make is focusing too much on the parts and not enough on the tank as a whole.

Before you spend $$ on substrate and do a tear down, I would suggest add as much Hornwort as you can. Let it grow to 2" thick on the top of your tank. Then as you get in balance remove it gradually.

Going to a sand Cap, 2" of dirt 1" of sand works well. In the long run it will be a simpler system.

#24 ·
I've got Eco Complete in my two largest tanks and it's working out well. Just keep root tabs near your heavy root feeders. I prefer the larger size of the gravel in EC, as I can see all the brown muck slowly heading downwards and the surface stays clean. I have some really small-grained substrate in a smaller tank, and the crap just sits on top or within the first centimeter of the substrate and always kicks up a mess when doing water changes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.