The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fish Caught in Aqua Medic Reactor

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  YankeeFanInPA 
#1 ·
I have been losing fish (neon tetras) in my tank. Couldn't find them anywhere.

Finally I looked inside the Aqua Medic Membrane Reactor. Found them dead in there.

The reactor is placed high up in the tank, right under the Eheim spray bar. I guess they got too close and got pushed in.

I had the reactor with the tubes facing down, open on top. That's the way it is shown in all pictures.

Can I reverse it, tubes on top ? Or should I get another reactor ?

I know others are using this product. Anyone have the same problem ?

Thanks.

#2 ·
I've never used this type of reactor, but I think all in-tank reactors benifit from being as deep under water as possible so that the CO2 has maximum time to be diffused into the water. I would still keep it on the same side of your tank as the spraybar, but at the bottom of the tank rather than close to the surface.

I've read others post that the efficiency of the membrane reactors weren't great so you may want to try something else...either a powered in-tank model or an external one in-line with the output from your Eheim.

#4 ·
It's possible but I don't think so.

From my very limited experience, it seems that when they are not feeling well, they hang on the bottom.

What other reactors are being used ?

#8 ·
Guess I have to ask a newbie question:

What is the difference between a diffuser and reactor ?

#9 ·
No problem man....the terminology we throw around here can get confusing. A diffuser allows CO2 to passively enter the water column...that is you're counting on small bubbles made by the diffuser to never make it to the surface of the tank where the gas can escape. A reactor actively forces the gas and water to mix, allowing more gas to enter the water column without being outgassed at the surface. Basically, passive diffusion versus active diffusion. That's why a lot of people use inline reactors with their canister filters or run the co2 into their HOB intake...that way the gas is actively diffused into the water. I hope this doesn't sound even more confusing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.