The Planted Tank Forum banner

Flourite vs. Eco-complete

4K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  crazy loaches 
#1 ·
What are the essential differences between these 2 products? I can see the physical differences, just wondering if one is better than the other in a planted tank, and why. Also wondering if either product has any long term implications - for instance - I have read on this forum that Eco-Complete might contain worms/bugs (contaminated??). Also read messages that seemed to suggest the Eco might require occasional "stirring-up" to keep it from compacting too much?

Bottom line is that I like the look of pictures I have seen here with folks using black substrates, and that seems to be Eco-complete many times. If/when I pursue a second tank, I would like to use a dark substrate instead of the flourite I am using in the tank I just set up.

#4 ·
Both work pretty well, hard to say which one is "better". Many prefer the dark EC (it isn't really black though!) and the easy use without rinsing, but Flourite seems to be more available and doesn't have the troubled history of EC (bags contaminated with phosphate).

Remember that Java Ferns, Mosses and others are substrate independent... they do just as well in a bare tank.:wink:

#7 ·
I have Flourite and I love it. I may get some of that black Onyx sand to put a layer on top of it though. I am having a rough time planting stuff in the Flourite since it's a little too big for me to work with(anyone else have this problem? Maybe I'm doing it wrong), so maybe a layer of sand on top would help with that. Flourite is also easier for me to find around here.

#9 ·
I mixed Flourite and Onyx Sand and I didn't like the look. Onyx is a grayish color and not black.

#8 ·
I think Flourite is about the easiest substrate to plant in. Not too light, and not too heavy. AS is easy too, but a little too light. Eco is like sand now a days. Too light and gets sucked up in a siphon easily. I just wish there was a dark gray or "black" flourite. My plan is to cover it up with plants so it doesn't show so much red. But that is a good idea to top dress. I've done that in the past with Eco.

Just be sure what ever is on top has a larger diameter. Because the smallest substrate and fines will always be on the bottom, eventually.

#12 ·
I'd like to see the 2mm grain size with an Flourite black material spherical in shape, that would be ideal. As well as a white version of it.
A semi hard version of the ADA AS would be nice also.

You can use sand just fine for these plants, that's what we did in the past.
After using ADA AS, EC is quite easy to work with.

Most harder gravels will go flat faster than ADA AS, that seems to hold the slopes better.

Regards,
Tom Barr

#22 ·
Oh yeah, forgot its also in the little thumbnail with clown loaches in my sig.

BTW, back to the original topic, ECO is more expensive that Flourite and even more than AS atleast for the cheapest I could find it online. Remember you dont get the same volume from a bag of ECO as the weight would lead you to beleive, since its full of water and thats included in the weight of the bag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.