The Planted Tank Forum banner

Anyone live in Nebraska?

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  AnneRiceBowl 
#1 ·
I was just wondering if there are any planted-tank (or fish-only tank) keepers anywhere near to where I am. I'm kind of lonely, trying to figure out all kinds of stuff on my own (I have internet help, but it's just not the same... I'm slow) :tongue: Anyway, I live in Omaha.

#4 ·
I am in Bellevue, and I keep plants and fish.

I love Aqua Pets, but I can only get out there if I make a special trip. I have a few qualms about the store. The owner sort of admitted to me that they sell SW because it's a BIG money maker, but I suspected that any way. I also got some "iffy" fish advice from him, again, since he doesn't keep the species that I was talking to him about, it was expected. The second time that I went in there, he was selling a tattooed giant gourami and tattooed oscars. I haven't seen any more fish like that in the store, though.

Paradise Cove in Bellevue is AWESOME! I absolutely LOVE that store!

And as I finish typing this, I realize just how OLD this topic is!!!!

#5 ·
Update on Aqua Pets:

They only treat you with good customer service if you spend a wad of cash with each visit. I'll be using up my $12 store credit, and then I am done with giving them my business.

#6 ·
I'd have to agree with you on your Aqua Pets comment. I have been to aqua pets many times b/c it's so close to me and the selection isn't bad. Lets face it it's better then Petco or smart for plants. But at times it seems like they could care less if your there or not. I've walked in before and looked around for a good 15 min and still no one would ask if I was OK or needed any help. Now this isn't something that happens all the time but it still happens and sometimes you get the feeling that they well could really care less. Now Paradise Cove is a great store. But they don't sell much for plants. If your into SW then your in good hands :) but the staff is great. It's a mix of ppl that use to work at Aqua Pets and the old pet store that was in Bellevue. It would be nice if they got into some Planted Tank setups. Oh and there is also Pet World in Milliard you could check out. OK selection on plants and fish. Fresh and Saltwater. They also have some equipment and what not. Still though if your looking for lights or bulbs or anything else of that nature you cant beat the Internet. Cheapest way to get what you need hands down. These local pet stores have to mark it up alittle to make a profit but I know all three of them would be happy to order what you need if you feel sketchy about ordering over the net.

#8 ·
I'd have to agree with you on your Aqua Pets comment. I have been to aqua pets many times b/c it's so close to me and the selection isn't bad. Lets face it it's better then Petco or smart for plants. But at times it seems like they could care less if your there or not. I've walked in before and looked around for a good 15 min and still no one would ask if I was OK or needed any help. Now this isn't something that happens all the time but it still happens and sometimes you get the feeling that they well could really care less. Now Paradise Cove is a great store. But they don't sell much for plants. If your into SW then your in good hands :) but the staff is great. It's a mix of ppl that use to work at Aqua Pets and the old pet store that was in Bellevue. It would be nice if they got into some Planted Tank setups.
The only ONE thing that I don't like about PC is that they are expensive. I have gotten some good deals there. I watch for sales, and I joined their club-thing, which gives me 10% off at the register. I also bring in fish from time-to-time, which gives me a little bit of store credit. I have gotten some really nice crypts from them a few months back. I have always gotten great customer service with a smile and have gotten good advice from them. I also got a few gorgeous pieces of Malaysian driftwood from them. And, yes, they need a mice planted tank, even if it's for display. What's with the cylinder style tank???? It's ugly! I'll have to talk to Jeff or Joe about that. lol

Oh and there is also Pet World in Milliard you could check out. OK selection on plants and fish. Fresh and Saltwater. They also have some equipment and what not. Still though if your looking for lights or bulbs or anything else of that nature you cant beat the Internet. Cheapest way to get what you need hands down. These local pet stores have to mark it up alittle to make a profit but I know all three of them would be happy to order what you need if you feel sketchy about ordering over the net.
I've made a special order with PC before, and it came in fast and on time. I made a special order once with Charlie's Angels, and it took them 6 WEEKS to get my order in, and in the mean time, nearly all the plants in my tank died, and I am just now getting my tank back in order. While I was waiting, I ordered the bulb from PC, and it came in 4 days after I ordered it.

#9 ·
Last two times I went to Aqua Pets their FW section was horrible. Things like tiger barbs in with long finned fish (with bites out of their fins of course). When I asked for help, the only guy in there said "I can help bag a fish but I don't know anything about freshwater."
I agree with you on the FW selection. I usually only saw cichilds and a few other not-interesting-to-me fish. At least the guy told you he didn't know anything instead of giving you crap advice. One of the few fish that I have bought from there was a male betta that was in a tank full of black skirt tetras. His fins were nearly gone--poor guy. I told the owner's wife about it and gave some advice for future reference. I believe it fell on deaf ears, so to speak. Every betta I have seen in there looks like ****.

Petland on 120th and Center has the best condition plants and some very enthusiastic employees who know their stuff. Fish selection not very good.
I made my first visit there just about a week ago and picked up an albino female paradise fish. James is the guy who helped me. I had heard great things about him, so I finally made my way there, and he needed a little help in sexing paradise fish, but he seemed earger to learn. lol Yes, fish selection not great, but it looked like most of their tanks were for salt water. Also, great plants, but I got all the way home in Bellevue and realized that I had forgotten to grab some. It took me awhile to get some assistance, but I do take into account that they were busy that day.

Petworld in Millard has plants but they are all half dead. Fish selection is sporadic - I know they are trying to boost their SW right now so skimping on FW. I got some GBR there that brought ich with them.
I noticed that, too about the plants. The day that I went, they had just gotten in a plant shipment, and I had grabbed a few that were on sale. The latter was a big oops on my part. But, I got alot of plants for cheap. lol I wasn't too thrilled at the upkeep on the FW tanks, and I saw an electric eel for sale. Not happy about that either. They did have alot of equipment and seemed to have a fairly good selection.

Petco in Millard has a fish section bordering on animal abuse with dead stock stuck to filters in every tank. They had some rarer plants there but I won't be going back.
I haven't been there, but thank you for the info.

You just can't beat Petsmart for the most common plants since they are usually $1.49 and if you're nice they will throw in a couple extras.
I can't agree with you more! I have gotten quite a few plants from them, and I have always gotten friendly help, but they are a bit fuzzy on advice. They'll even ask me for advice or will have a customer ask me questions. lol They've even asked me to work for them.

#10 ·
hey all, long time lurker. Used to be pretty heavy into planted tanks but a bout with ich and some salt treatment wiped my plants... but then i guess part of the fun is rebuilding :D.

Thought i'd chime in a bit...

Aqua Pets. Gotten some rarer fish/plants there but never had a high opinion of them.

Petland. Great source but expensive. If you can catch them on shipment days...think tues or thursday don't remember they have great plants, but they keep them very low lighted too long and end up coating them with algae after a short while. Bout only time to get plants from them is when you catch the shipment new. Bout the only time i can get fish from them is when i win the lottery :p...

Petco... :thumbsdow

Petsmart... step up from petco.

I haven't been to paradise cove in Bellvue, is it still around? I'll have to make a trip out :D...

Gunna try to switch over to MH at the beginning of the year and bolster the tank :D...

#12 ·
I'm still around when I can. What plants are you putting in your new tank? I may be able to squeeze in a few more plants in my one remaining tank that I am absolutely refusing to tear down and sell. (I have 2 MetaFrames that are my project tanks though). I just re-scaped my 30 long with what plants I had left after selling and splurged on a few new ones. I think I am going to finally give in and get my 15# CO2 tank filled. I did find AirGas--it's near a friend's house, so that gives me a good reason to finally put pressurized CO2 in the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.