The Planted Tank Forum banner

d2mini's 12g Long Office Oasis - SHRIMP!!!

18K views 109 replies 35 participants last post by  PeterN1986 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm looking or LOTS of help on this one!

My venture into planted tanks at the time of this writing is only 23 days. :icon_mrgr with my 4g AIO nano. Wasn't much to think about with that one other than substrate/stone/plants and some ferts. For my new 12g long, i want to take my time picking the best equipment, working on a good layout, might do a dry start, etc. It's located in my office which I'm at m-f 9-5 and not on weekends. It needs to be fairly low maintenance (performed during lunch) and able to be left alone all weekend. Also the occasional vacation stint of a week or two with an informed co-worker able to do simple tasks like feed the tank. For this tank I am willing to spend some money on equipment like co2, ph monitor, etc with the intent on making things easier/less time consuming. For instance, getting a pressurized co2 system that can run for many weeks, rather than a diy that runs for much less time and needs constant attention. With this build, time/ease of use takes priority over the almighty dollar.

Overall look will be Iwagumi. This proportion tank just lends itself so well to that.
Although I was drawn to this piece of driftwood as seen in the pics below. Can this be used along with stone to create an Iwagumi layout? I just liked that it was a bit epic for this size tank and reaches out the top. So i'm kinda torn at the moment. :icon_neut

For inhabitants, probably little red cherry shrimp or crystal shrimp, a school of some itsy bitsy fish, nothing major. Opinions please!

So with that said, let me list what I have so far...

TANK: Mr Aqua 12g Long
SUBSTRATE: 2 bags of ADA Amazonia AquaSoil
POWERHEAD: Ecotech Marine MP10w (i just happen to have this laying around, figured it might work well for such a long tank)
MAT: I have an old black yoga mat I'm going to cut up to place under the tank.
STAND: Will be going on a low book shelf I have in my office already.

Now for a list of things I'm going to need a lot of help/opinions on! Please contribute! :D

LIGHTING:
I know the first question will be what kind of plants do i want to keep. Well... I'm not really sure. Definitely some kind of carpet. I like dwarf baby tears, i like hair grass. That's really my only definite requirement. Maybe some mosses depending on how we scape it. I'm too new at this to really be into specific plants so I can adapt to whatever. My main concern here is that I would like something that does not have to be suspended because we have a drop ceiling in my office and I'm not sure what's going on above it or whether I really want to get into modifying anything up there to support/hang a light. I'd rather do some kind of clip on or diy suspension.

FILTER:
I'm looking at canister filters. Currently thinking one of the Eheim Ecco Pro models, just not sure which one being that the tank is so long. I have the MP10 so would that help with circulation, allowing me to get one of the smaller models? Please advise! I am not interested in the Classic models... would rather have one of the newer designs.

CO2:
I need suggestions for it all! The main unit, bubble counter, drop checker, etc. Doesn't necessarily have to be top of the line for no good reason, just needs to fit my main requirements above. If top of the line is what's needed to do that, than so be it.

MISCELLANEOUS:
Heater? Ph monitor? Temp gauge? Anything else you can think of that I would need and would be best in the 12g long.

Thanks in advance for suggestions and comments! I want to make sure this gets setup right!
Now here's some pics to start off the build! :proud:

Probably too much soil but at just $30/bag not a big deal to have extra!

The epic driftwood

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks good...

I recommend getting a Fluval 106. It's like the newer Eheims at a lower price. I have it on my 6g rimless and in my office. It's super quiet. It has a modular design, flow control, and self priming.

For lighting, the Finnex Ray 2 is great. It's strong enough for carpeting plants. You'll need a co2 system for sure. You should get the Aquatek mini regulator for paintball. It's sold through Aquatek in their Amazon and eBay stores. However, through their eBay store they throw in free stuff like co2 tubing. It comes with a bubble counter and integrated check valve. You'll just need to buy a diffuser and paintball tank.

#3 ·
Definitely need to get some sort of fisssiden or moss on that amazing driftwood, it will eventually grow up and out of the tank nicely!

Also just want to say that site you linked in your sig is awesome!

#4 ·
Congrats on getting the 12 gallon long! Have you checked out the 12G Rimless Club yet? That should give you some inspiration for now. You do have an interesting piece of wood with some good character. That 100° angle looks unnatural to me and if you do keep the wood, you'll need to suspend the light higher off of the tank.

I would suggest mini fissidens and mini pelia for a low maintenance tank. You probably won't need CO2 if you go that route. If you do go with HC (dwarf baby tears), you'll need the CO2 and you'll need to trim it to have a nice carpet. It is a PITA to trim but looks nice.

Good Luck!

#7 ·
I would suggest mini fissidens and mini pelia for a low maintenance tank. You probably won't need CO2 if you go that route. If you do go with HC (dwarf baby tears), you'll need the CO2 and you'll need to trim it to have a nice carpet. It is a PITA to trim but looks nice.

Good Luck!
Thanks!
Are you saying that neither the fissidens or the pelia need trimming?
Do they get planted into the substrate and grow roots? Or is it like riccia that needs to be attached to something?

#6 ·
Yeah, see! I'm torn on the wood! It's cool, but at the same time I really like the simple iwagumi layout and the way it projects that crazy sense of scale.

But if I was to keep the wood, in regards to the 90 degree bend, i'd probably bury the bend. Maybe add a little more branches to that upright portion.

I might have to go pick up some ryuo stone, add the soil and start playing around.
Thinking I would go pretty heavy on the right side with rock and plants and then have a fairly bare left side, maybe with some white sand.

#8 ·
For a filter I would go with an eheim, proven workhorses of the planted tank. A 2215 or 2217 (your choice) should provide a lot of biological surface area.

For media, I would upgrade and stuff it with ADA Bio Rio and a bag of Purigen for water polishing.

Lighting you could use a Finnex Fuge Ray or Ray 2 or a simple T5 single or T8 or T12 fixture.

CO2 regs you could build your own, but buying a pre made one would be easier and simpler. I would take a look at GLA regs and Atomic Regs. Those are nice quality and get reliable reports. Again, as a CO2 beginner you don't want gas leaks or reg failure.

#11 ·
Lighting you could use a Finnex Fuge Ray or Ray 2 or a simple T5 single or T8 or T12 fixture.
Thanks for the info!
Would the finnex lights need to be raised?

They both need trimming but maybe once every 6 weeks or so. They are slow growers (especially the mini pellia) so you will need a lot to start off. If you do a dry start you can cut it up and spread it on the substrate or you can also attach them to something.

Check out Chad's journal. He has a nice fissiden carpet going on.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=191906&page=7

You can also check out Meow's journal. She has an all moss 12 gallon long.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=175894

I sure you'll come up with something great! Your reef tank room is awesome!
Thanks for the links!
Looks like chad used some kind of matting material? But you're saying if I dry start it can go right in/on the substrate?

Since it's an office tank and you're new to this world of scaping planted tanks (though, obviously not new to tanking or amazing reef tanks!), I wouldn't go high-tech with CO2 and such. I'd consider things that are truly low maintenance like Crypts, Anubias and mosses. You can do some amazing things with just those three types of plants. Add in some small Hydrocotyle and other plants for impact and you're all set.

That'd mean you can use cheaper, more sleek lighting, won't have to do any work other than water changes and feeding.

Iwagumi is tons of fun but only if you have someone just as skilled as you to take care of things while you're on vacation.

For filtration, an Eheim 2213 or 2232 will provide the perfect amount of flow if you do a full-length spraybar. I've tried a 2215 and flow had to be metered down to the point of almost causing issues with the filter itself. Filter + sponge pre-filter = just right.
Yeah, i see where you are coming from.
I guess I hoped things could grow out a bit over a week or so and I could trim when i got back. What would be difficult to delegate would be any kind of dosing. I'd really want to limit co-worker participation to just feeding. I know even that can get tricky (I currently have a saltwater nano at the office) but everyone loves having the tank and seems to enjoy helping out once in a while.

I'll look into those plants you mentioned and do some searching on low-tech.
But I'd be curious to know if some co2 can still be implemented to encourage growth, stave off algae and just contribute to a healthier tank?

And the spray bar you mentioned... since I already have an MP10, can that replace the need for the bar? I also heard that having a powerhead can help chop up and better distribute the co2 bubbles (if i end up going that direction).
One thing I read somewhere about the smaller ECCO line like the 35 was that it was not enough flow for such a long tank. Again, was thinking maybe the MP10 would help?

Thanks for all the replies... very helpful! And thanks for the kind words on my reef tanks. At least you know I'll give this tank my best efforts. :proud:

#10 ·
Since it's an office tank and you're new to this world of scaping planted tanks (though, obviously not new to tanking or amazing reef tanks!), I wouldn't go high-tech with CO2 and such. I'd consider things that are truly low maintenance like Crypts, Anubias and mosses. You can do some amazing things with just those three types of plants. Add in some small Hydrocotyle and other plants for impact and you're all set.

That'd mean you can use cheaper, more sleek lighting, won't have to do any work other than water changes and feeding.

Iwagumi is tons of fun but only if you have someone just as skilled as you to take care of things while you're on vacation.

For filtration, an Eheim 2213 or 2232 will provide the perfect amount of flow if you do a full-length spraybar. I've tried a 2215 and flow had to be metered down to the point of almost causing issues with the filter itself. Filter + sponge pre-filter = just right.

#13 ·
So just to clarify, are you saying we shouldn't use any powerhead in a tank with shrimp? I use vortechs because the flow is adjustable and it's push/pull is so wide compared to koralias. Plus the different modes and random flow. I currently run the mp10 on my 6g saltwater nano, and have MP60's running on the big tank, both with shrimp. Of course the shrimp are a lot bigger! ;)

Is there a good reference somewhere for which plants would be best for a non-co2 tank?

Thanks!

#14 ·
Unless it has a sponge over the intake, you shouldn't use a powerhead in a shrimp tank. Sometimes the Koralia works out okay but even that can be a shrimp blender.

There are only a handful of plants that will require CO2. Most can be grown without CO2 and many will do fine (but grow slowly) in lower lighting levels.

#15 ·
Ok, I dumped in a bag of aquasoil and some ryuo stone and when i stepped back this is what appeared. The empty space would be light colored sand. I'll be mulling over/tweaking this for a bit.

MEANWHILE.... I really need some LIGHTS!!!!
I've been through the build threads and still confused. I guess I'm looking for something with medium light. Was looking for a finnex fugeray but having trouble finding the 36" and the two is too bright. Marineland? The new one from Fluval? :help:

For plants I'm looking at doing a bunch of taiwan moss front and flame moss center with something taller in back.

#20 ·
Thanks! I found it! :bounce:

Yeah that looks great! You're a natural. :)

On the FugeRay question, raising would be good but you could also add some floating plants if the light is too strong. Too bad they don't have a dimmer option.
Thank you! That's true about the floating plants. Either way, the regular fugeray should be plenty of light, right?

Floating plants can also do a lot of good when it comes to slowing algae and sucking up nitrates from the tank.

A lot of people going with Iwagumi style tanks don't want the floaters in there though. Personally I love Amazon Frogbit.
Thank you! :)

Or you can let some stem plants grow all the way to the top and continue to drape across the surface.
Thanks, yeah i have that now in my betta tank. I think this one will be a bit more minimal with shorter plants. I think. :)

#19 ·
Re: d2mini's 12g Long Office Oasis - GROUP BUILD!

Or you can let some stem plants grow all the way to the top and continue to drape across the surface.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

#21 ·
Got the Fugeray! :bounce:

Been staring at and slightly tweaking the scape, too. But overall I've stuck with the same layout. But still nervous about signing off on it and filling with water. :confused1:

Now I just need to get the filter. Ended up leaning towards the 2213/15 for cost and track record. 13 will do if it can handle the 36" length. Thoughts?

Oh, and i happen to have some sand sitting here that was left over from my reef tank setup. It's Dowell Sea Floor aragonite and says it's good for marine, reef and african cichlids, due to the high ph. Since I'm only going to use it in the "river", will it be pretty much harmless? Or should I get something else?
It's still in the (open) bag, never seen water.

Here's some iphone pics of the current setup...

#22 ·
Bump for the sand question and any final thoughts on the eheim. :)

#23 ·
d2mini's 12g Long Office Oasis - GROUP BUILD!

Scape looks great! The substrate looks very thin nearing the river, i believe it may not be ideal depth for some plants but that depends on what you're planting of course. Can't comment on your other questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#24 ·
Really good scape. I really like the look of that big rock on the right side, but having it facing towards the front of the tank kind of shades right under it, so depending on if you go with a carpeting plant you might wanna flip it around so it faces the other way so you don't get that one spot to lack light.

I think the sand is a super cool idea and would add a lot, the only problem is i feel that when a lot of people go for a mix and have a small section sand that the multiple substrates get mixed and then it just looks dirty. If you can keep it clean though and not have them mix it would look awesome

#25 ·
Looking nice. Substrate depth near the sandy areas will be fine - I routinely have similar depths with no issues in my tanks. Even when it comes to plants and rooting.

As far as the "sand" (aragonite) you mention, don't use it - it's going to mess your paramaters up. The amount you'll be using would be enough to shoot your hardness up and put your pH at 8+ for an extended period. Go with nice pool filter sand or some other decorative, tiny gravel. (Though, if it were me, I'd ditch the sand pathway completely, fill it with soil and use a plant of some sort of carpeting species that's different than the rest of the tank - use the plant to be the pathway - sand will eventually get dirty.)

Eheim 2213 is perfect for this tank when using a spray bar. I've used both 2213 and 2232 (Ecco) with no issues. Even have to turn the flow down a bit.

Have you made any decisions on CO2? You'll have to use it + ferts unless you raise the fixture.

#26 ·
Thanks for the comments! :)

Big rock... yeah it looks worse in the pic but i went ahead and straightened it a smidge. Plus the light was pushed way back when i took the pics. There is almost no shadow at all the way it sits now. :)

Eheim... ok i'll order the 2213. Thanks!
But will a spray bar mess with the look of this layout???

Sand... bummer! would have been convenient to use what i already had especially when i only need a couple cups worth. Maybe I can find a light colored soil to use instead of sand. I liked the idea of a completely different texture and color there. My plan is to use a lot of mosses in the tank so what do you think would be cool to plant as the "river"?

co2... well, i originally planned to go the co2 route in my initial post but that idea got poo-poo'd for maintenance reasons. I'm still open to the idea. I purposely got the regular fugeray, not the 2, but sounds like it still may be too much.

Oh, and what about a heater? I've seen some inlines for canister filters. Would like to keep things as clean as possible. Suggestions?

Thanks!

#27 ·
Yeah I agree the coral sand would be undesireable to use in a planted environment.

I would recommend ADA Cosmetic Sand, they have lots of natural types, textures, sizes and colors. Small bag should be plenty and not too expensive. If you drop by ADG, Frank should help you out. :)

I think the green spraybar would be distracting. ADA makes a glass spraybar, 2,3 and 4ft version, but they only come with the Waterfall series of tanks. I would ask Frank if you could order one as a replacement part or something, which I am sure is possible because what if one were to break, you would need a replacement. ;)
I do wonder why they don't offer them for sale separately specifically, I think they would sell quite a few.

For the heater, I would recommend the Hydor inline heaters.

#28 ·
Yeah or I guess I could just make my own spray bar.
In this style tank would you run it across the top of the tank?

#31 ·
Thanks!
What is a "jet" lily pipe? Haven't seen that type. Do you have a link? Google is failing me. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.