The Planted Tank Forum banner

6.6 Gallon Bookshelf tank journal

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  MichaelMcG 
#1 · (Edited)
I Decided to start a journal on this tank since im going to take my time. I bought this tank used from a member on the forum and it was suppose to be for my girlfriend's dwarf puffer fish, but since she is happy with the 10 gallon then im going to turn it into a CRS or PFR shrimp tank.
Originally i was going to turn the tank into a Iwagumi tank , and i have some perfect rock for the job but whilst looking for the rock today i came across a great piece of driftwood that fits perfect for this tank.
The driftwood is soaking in a Vinegar/water mix at the moment, tomorrow i will soak it in a Hydrogen Peroxide bath before finally scrubbing it with a brush and then throwing it in the dishwasher (when my girlfriend is at work)
The tank will go through a dry start for maybe 4-5 weeks to help the plants root and hopefully grow fuller
Tank: 6.6 gallon
Substrate : Pool filter sand with O+ tabs
Lighting:24" Finnex
C02: Paintball setup
Plants:HC, Fissiden, Ludwiga Red, Hygro. A

DAY 1

See less See more
#3 ·
Ok plants are in and waiting to grow !
I dont know what to put in the far right corner, any ideas ? At the moment i have Hygrophilia Corymbosa needle leaf but i know its going to get to big and look "clumsy" so i need thoughts.

#4 ·
Its been 2 weeks and the growth has been good. Not sure on which LED fixture to get, so until then it will stay dry :-(

#6 ·
Thanks, i just had a quick look and they seem good for the money, however with 3 options im a little confused as which one to get. The tank is so shallow that im scared it will be high light and cause an algae farm.

#7 ·
Looks good!

I also have this tank. For lighting I took off the rim of the tank and am running 3 of the fluval compact flourescent lamps (13 watts each). They are relatively cheap lamps (25.00 on amazon) and have worked well for me. My DHG grows great under them :) I would prefer a single fixture, but had trouble finding something that fit the tank and had good enough lighting.

#8 ·
Its been a wwhile since i updated this tank. I have changed it around a little as the tank is way too small to play with so many different plant species. I decided to go the asy maintenance route, so i only went with 4 plants. I had to cut a piece of driftwood off because the Hydrocoytle was going crazy ! I was trimming it every 2 days lol

Anyway here is the most recent picture, its a little cloudy due to changing the water.

#15 ·
I use a Mr Clean magic eraser, cleans any crud off without scratching :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.