The Planted Tank Forum banner

Current Satellite Super Loud!!!

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Church 
#1 ·
Hi,

I recently purchased I single socket (65w) Current USA Satellite (model 1003)for use on a 28 gallon Euro. I am generally pleased but the fan is LOUD! I would almost compare the sound-level to that of a hair dryer.

The Current USA specs indicated it was fanless:

http://www.current-usa.com/files/1139463221Satellite.pdf

I purchased the light from PetMountain.com who's website also indicated it was fanless. Pet Mountain suggested I run the light without the fan. Otherwise they have been no help and refused to accept a return.

Current USA suggests I need only run the fan when the light is turned on. Which begs the question of whether I'll be able to operate the light and read, talk, watch TV, etc. in my living room. They did offer to send a replacement fan that I can install myself. We'll see if it makes any difference.

Has anyone had similar experiences with this light? What solution (if any) did you employ?

See less See more
#4 ·
It might be safe, but who can say for sure? I think a similarly spec'd Coralife light is fanless. Presumably Current USA decided to spend the money on fans for a reason. Will the increased heat reduce bulb/ballast life? Maybe. I plan to try a quieter fan.

" what the tarnations where they thinking?"

Ditto, spend an extra buck or two on a decent fan for gods sake!

#5 ·
Have you thought about sourcing your own fan? If the one they supply is load, buy a different brand fan to put into the fixture.

I know it sucks to spend money on a nice light to only have to turn around to spend more to make it work right, but I'm betting the new fan will be just as loud as the original.

#9 · (Edited)
So there are two DC adapters on your Satellite? If there's just one, then that's only for the moonlights. Or do you mean there's a DC converter in the actual fixture that the fan plugs into?

I have a single Satellite, without a fan, and it has two cords, an adapter for the moonlights and one for the fixture itself. I believe we have the same fixture, 65 watt, it is fine without a fan. The outside of the fixture does get warm, but not hot.

I also have an Orbit, which has three cords, one each for front/back rows of lighting and a DC adapter for the moonlights. The fan comes on with the front row of lights. I've always wanted to replace that fan, as it isn't as quiet as I know it could be. I've never popped it open to see if there was a DC converter in the fixture along with the ballasts. Why would they not put the moonlight DC adapter inside if they put one inside for the fan? Thus, without an external DC adapter I figured the fan must be AC.

FWIW, the fan noise from my Orbit settled down after a break-in period, which is why I never really pursued replacing the fan.

#10 ·
My Satellite has a total of three cords (plugs):

1. A grounded cord that powers the PC lights,
2. A DC converter that powers the fan,
3. A DC converter that powers the moonlights.

Apparently there has been a recent design change to the Satellite. It looks like a fan and another DC converter were added to the older design. Current USA has not gotten around to updating the spec sheets on their website. I guess I get to be one of the unwitting guinea pigs for the new design.

I figure there must be a reason they added the fan. Two possibilities occur to me (this is pure speculation on my part). The are responding to/preempting potential lawsuits, or they are using cheaper components (ballasts) that are less heat resistant.

#11 ·
Interesting, it does appear as though you've been made an unwitting guinea pig by Current USA.

I agree, there would have to be some reason for the fan to be added, either precautionary or due to some specific change. Replacing the fan with a higher quality version would probably be the best choice. Unfortunately those little fans usually need to spin faster, thus making more noise, just to move enough air.

#18 ·
Hmm...I know Sunon and Evercool both make some good 50mm's.

Of the two I'd lean towards the Sunon's because if I remember correctly, most of the Evercool models are higher rpm's and most likely in the same dba range as what youre trying to replace.

(edit) The more I think about it, there really isnt a low rpm (non-screamer) 50mm fan that I can think of...lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.