The Planted Tank Forum banner

Did I buy the correct fish?

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  msawdey 
#1 ·
Are these Siamese algae eaters? The ones that eat bba?

The lfs labeled them as flying foxes, but the employee assured me that these are the fish that eat bba. I even showed him a picture of what I wanted and he said that these are the same fish.

Hood Automotive lighting Sleeve Plastic bag Automotive design

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Kado,

Yes, that appears to be a SAE (Siamese algae eater, Crossocheilus oblongus). My experience has been that they don't seem to do well eating BBA if the BBA is healthy and thriving. However, if I dose a tank with BBA with some Seachem Excel / glutaraldehyde and weaken the BBA then the SAE will eat it with relish.

#6 ·
those are SAEs for sure... just know, you will eventually have to remove them from the tank. I have had SAEs get up to 5 inches long and they become PITAs. They harass everyone in the tank and fight with each other, plus stop eating algae

next time... go with excel dosing and a platoon of otos

#7 ·
Everyone seems to have a different experience with SAEs. I bought a single one for my 30 gallon tank and he seems to have maxed out at about 3 inches and is very peaceful. He prefers to spend most of his time laying on big sword leaves. I've had him for over a year, and either he is still eating algae, or I stopped growing BBA altogether.

#8 ·
Thanks for the warning.

I did do some research before buying my SAEs and a lot of it is contradicting. As for size most said that they have a max size of about 6", but average size in aquariums is 4". I also read that they are mostly peaceful schooling fish, but very active and that may annoy some other fishes. So far the 3 I got like to stick together. There were some sites that said that they are territorial and just get 1, but the info is very confusing because some sites may have been getting them mixed up with flying foxes. Here in Japan the 2 LFSs I've been to had them labeled as flying foxes.

#11 ·
they will stick together when they are young. They wont start their nasty behavior until they reach about 4 inches. When you start to see then eating the food you feed, then its all down hill. I had 2 just 3 months ago that were over 5 inches, and had to have been about 1.5 inches around (circumference of abdomen). They WERE HUGE

Plus the reason i suggested otos, is i now have 20 in my 50 gallon tropical tank. I love to watch them interact and swim with each other. The swimming almost looks deliberate and that they are communicating with each other

#18 ·
I think my 2 old SAEs got fat from the sheer amount of BBA they had to eat when I got them. :p Just exchanged them for 1 young one and I cannot believe how tiny it is!! I'd forgotten, lol...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.