The Planted Tank Forum banner

Riparium or Traditional?

Orchidman's Medium tech 10g

140K views 2K replies 60 participants last post by  orchidman 
#1 · (Edited)
:fish1: about time i started a journal. :fish:

im not new to fishkeeping, but i am new to planted tanks.

this tank is "technically" my first tank, but ive had it for 3 years, and many different scapes. i first planted it june of '10. it had 2 dps. about 2 weeks later it had an algae bloom, terrible timing, and i hadnt been taking care of it. so the algae got bad. and then the dps died because they got caught in the hair algae.

so i just let the tank go, eventually i did a huge water change and i moved the tank. while i was doing this i cleaned most of the algae off the driftwood and the walls. and set it up in a new location. i also changed out the incandescent to 2 13W cfls, in the stock hood.

about a week ago ( 1-7-10) it started to get algae again :( so i cut the lighting to about 8 hours a day. but it kept coming. now it has a light dusting on EVERYTHING with a heavier "dusting" on the driftwood :\

it is low-tech and no co2

in not sure if i have too much light though.

i will order some dry ferts from gla and some metricide 14 when they come back into stock. and i have some root tabs that should be here this week.

it is currently lightly planted, but id like to get it planted heavily.

i plan on getting a total of 1 betta, 3 otos, and maybe 6 cardinal tetras

flora- 1 echinodorus amazonicus, 1 anubias ( nana i think ), and some other small things that i dont know what they are.

fauna- 1 oto

i have sone jungle vals and dwarf sag on the way as well. should be here the same time as the root tabs.

here is the picture, just imagine everything with a light dusting of algae.the lighting isnt realistic in this pic ( off body flash ) and the plants are not healthy anymore, im working on fixing it.

Major rescape page 101

See less See more
#2,261 ·
start paying for getting my truck fixed. and then maybe an orchid or bonsai or two.. or 7 :D im gonna start saving and piecing together my 7.5g! i only need a filter (selling the 2215 to go down to a 2213), lily pipes (found a source), manzanita, stones, and plants.

send me a pm AS :proud:

#2,272 ·
I think running an Ebay store is really easy, it should be nothing more than entering all the items you have for sale (the hard part) and then the store is just a button where you can view all your items in one spot. You also may pay Ebay a larger fee but you get the store and auctions that never end, etc.

Nice photos!!

#2,274 ·
here are some more random iris pictures....i posted some guppy photos in the fish section, check them out!

DSC_0010.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0013.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0014.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0015.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0016.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0017.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0018.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0019.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

AND THERES ALWAYS A FEW ORCHIDS...

DSC_0003.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0001.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.