The Planted Tank Forum banner

Bogopolis - 30g w/ 20g sump (Pic Heavy)

18K views 93 replies 32 participants last post by  SlopTank 
#1 ·
Finally had some time to get this project rolling. This will be my second tank - inspired by the amount of fun an 8g nano has given me.

All of the equipment used was sourced from craigslist. Eventually, I will be converting a 20g tall (on the rack below the tank) into a sump with refugium. For now I'm using a 5g bucket. Anyway, onto the pics.

Getting started - wishing we had some black sand around here on the cheap.

Using miracle gro o/c - + worm castings and clay. Screwed the wood together to take care of the floating bits.

Using a Coralife 2x65W lamp + window light. Right now it has 2x 10k bulbs. I'll probably switch to 1x 10k 1x 6.5k

Remember kids, always play safe and bag it up.

Will probably be moving the java fern to the left side. I'd like to have lush growth from the left/center rear trailing off to the right. Might plant something like dwaf sag front/left and leave the front right bare.

I've planted some red ludwigia in the back - will have to see if there's enough light for her.

I've plumbed airline up through the tall arm of the driftwood - it lets a steady trickle of water run down to feed the mosses.

You can see the nipple sticking up just a bit.

Still dealing with the fog of war. I've added some floss to help clear things up.

That's it for now ;). Still trying to decide on the fauna - right now it's hosting some ghost shrimp to...test the waters. Input is definitely welcome. I'm having trouble choosing between Discus/Angels (too small for the former? =/) And bumblebee blennies, or dwaft cichlids, or a puffer...or a school of ras/tetras and some cories.

Thanks for looking all - happy planting

See less See more
#4 ·
wow - I love what you've done so far - the drama of such large driftwood in relation to tank size (and driftwood is my weakness - lol) is awesome! Most folks wouldn't have such a big chunk extending out of the tank, but that's what I like best - with the plants growing on it, the whole set up reminds me of Jurassic Park.

#9 ·
Orchid, I couldn't tell you - the back yard in MA variety.

dantra, Your fear about the window is my fear about the window - but I do want to supplement the lighting as it is probably suspended too high above the tank to get into the upper medium range. I may end up using rice paper or something similarly translucent to moderate the light.

#14 ·
SlopTank: Good eye - I had put an anubias in there temporarily. Though, it's actually not a HOB, but a Siphoning overflow box - because failure of this siphon would be catastrophic...I probably won't end up planting it ;)

The anubias now sits emersed - mounted in the crotch of the large piece of driftwood.

#16 · (Edited)
Sump is together (20g H)

I've planted the center "refugium" with wisteria. Don't mind the shoddy shape its in - been sitting in a bucket for a few weeks.

Tank has cleared up quite a bit - window is dirty as ever. I plan to run the main light on 4 hour intervals (7-11 AM/PM) and the sump light (65W) for 3 hour intervals (12-3 AM/PM). Eventually I plan on wiring up blue LED's for the sump and extending the photoperiod.

The sump inlet is loud at the moment. I'm thinking of running a straight siphon out of the rear overflow box, or simply out of the tank with the standard overflow chute as a backup. I think this would cause less out-gassing and certainly make for quieter operation.

Pump is plumped up to the outlet with 1/2in PVC. Currently setup as a spray-bar.

Picked up some DHG - have planted about 1/8th of it so far.

Thanks for taking a look all.

#18 ·
Update:
Tank is almost cycled - Added fish.
Ended up deciding on a school of 12-15 Harlequin Rasboras and 2-4 Bolivian rams.
So far I've just purchsed the HR's

Planted some Dwarf Hair Grass - Added an emersed plant out back.

Getting some new growth

#24 ·
Added two Bolivian rams - went to two pet-stores and they all looked a bit dodgy. If you're a ram expert - let me know if you see any signs of bad genetics. This pair has been very friendly since being placed in the tank - the male will often shield the female when I approach the tank. She's very passive, and he's a bit bossy.

I'd like to add 4 more and allow them to pair off more naturally - then remove 2 or 4 that aren't working.

The male:

The Female:

Getting Cozy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.