The Planted Tank Forum banner

The solenoid valve chase, after Parker H3L

15K views 91 replies 24 participants last post by  Bettatail 
#1 · (Edited)
Good news to anyone successfully land the Parker Hannifin H3L Metering valve, there is burkert solenoid available, about 1/10 of the retail, it is the model 2822, miniature solenoid and much better than the burkert 6011.

The burkert 2822 is $200+ retail, stainless steel, only made in Germany, you can't even find this model on Burkert USA website, and have to special order and ship from Germany.
it is only 2 watt power consumption, the lowest power consumption I 've seen on the 1/8" npt ported solenoid from burkert.

Actually I've been eyeing this solenoid for more than a year, only see it available recently and the seller sell it at $25.

#12 ·
I bought just one with my winning bid, so I'm sure there will be another auction or BIN shortly. Maybe over the next few months if they're sold one at a time! I capped my bid in hopes of keeping prices down for future buyers.

Thanks Bettatail for posting this, I've been trolling evilbaby looking at solenoids for a loooooong time...

#19 ·
^ I thought the lower power consumption could cause less heat. My Aquatic Life pulls power way more and it not hot. Now those asian DICI regulators got real hot real fast, might have to just trash the solenoid from them.

I was just about to post and ask how the heat is on these $50 dollar solenoid that retail for $200 that some guy on ebay is selling.

#20 ·
They just run hot. Not as hot as the 6011 mind you. It should still outlast just about anything out there. The nut that sticks out of the 6011 will burn you if you hold on to it for too long. The engineers at Burkert swear up and down that the heat they create will not harm the solenoid.

#21 ·
I was quite concern when I accidently touched it. At first i thought that maybe because I left it on over night. but when I had it on a timer going 2 hrs into operation it got hot. The milwaukee after 6hrs is not even warmed at all for the one I have. But, it's good to know that it's normal for the burkert to get hot and not defective.

#22 ·
First, a 2 watt solenoid runs hot, but not as hot as a 4 watt, the 2 watt power consumption becomes heat eventually.

I am going to test the solenoid, to see the actual current that flow through the burkert 2822.
at this point I believe even it is a 2 watt(24V DC, 83mA), there is no circuit inside(the solenoid or the power supply) to limit the current, so when you use a 800mA max output power supply, means more current pass through the solenoid and create heat.

#23 ·
btw, any solenoid that I have experience with, if they are 1.5 watt or above, they are hot when touch, in different degree depends on how much the power consumption.

a clippard mouse solenoid never run hot....

#30 ·
I installed Parker H3L about 2 weeks ago and it seems this metering valve would not fully close, I tried aligning the two ZEROs on the handle but the bubble rate would not fully stop.

The bubble rate I have currently is good even if this H3L would not close fully. But, I just wonder it cant be adjusted to zero rate bubble.

Is there anything I missed?

#37 ·
need to dig out the multimeter, put it somewhere after I measured the actual current on some other solenoids a while ago....:icon_sad:

and a clippard solenoid does run HOT, it is about 6watts, the 0.67 watt clippard mouse is the one that feels nothing under room temp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.