The Planted Tank Forum banner

New to Low Tech, Seeking advice

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  AUvet14 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 30 gallon high tech tank and I'm setting up a GLA 36-L high tech iwagumi setup. I've now decided to set up the 10 gallon tank that's just been taking up space for a low tech/low maintenance shrimp tank. Here's what I've got:

Standard 10 gallon glass aquarium and stand
Basic cheapo hood with 15W T8 fixture
Aquaclear 20 HOB filter
Aqueon heater that came with the kit when I got it 3 years ago

I'm planning on using Fluval Shrimp Stratum for substrate.

Here's the plants I'm wanting to keep:

Anubias barteri var. nana "petite"
Anubias barteri var. coffeefolia
Bolbitus heudelotii (african congo fern)
Microsorum pteropus (java fern)
Cryptocoryne wendtii green
Cryptocoryne lutea
Cryptocoryne balansae
Some sort of moss, undecided among: Fissidens fontanus, Singapore moss, flame moss, willow moss

As far as stocking goes, only a few otos and painted fire red shrimp.

Does anyone with experience in low tech setups have any suggestions or foresee any problems with keeping these in a low tech setup?

P.S. Oh yeah, this whole scape will be created around a piece or two of manzanita branch and some extra sieryu stones that I have left over.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks! :) I wasn't sure about that lighting. Is there maybe a particular bulb that I should get? I'm pretty sure the bulb in the hood right now is the cheapo aqueon bulb that came in it. I definitely need to replace it.

My goal is to have enough plants that I shouldn't have too much trouble with algae. I guess all of these species grow slowly enough that carbon supplementation isn't really necessary?

#6 ·
I usually only use the heater on my other tanks during the winter when my apartment is cooler. I don't use one the rest of the year, but I think I see what you're saying. I do try to keep my 30 gallon a little on the warmer side, around 78, but I guess the shrimp actually might prefer it cooler. I just listed it because I have it. Lol. Might not even use it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.