The Planted Tank Forum banner

Crypt Club

163K views 831 replies 165 participants last post by  Matt69 
#1 · (Edited)
This is the place to talk about Cryptocorynes. Ask questions, share growing secrets, post your successes, worry about your melting crypts, and to help fellow site members. Don't worry about staying on topic ...as long as it's about crypts...it is the topic.

Please start with a list of your current Sp. So others may know who to ask about individual sp.

Bankanensis 'Dwarf'
Becketti
Bullosa 'Sarakei'
Bukit Ibam 'Yellow-Ring'
Bukit 'Merah'
Cordata 'Blassii'
Cordata 'KR01'
Cordata 'Rosainberg'
Ferruginea
Cordata 'Thailand'
Hundorio
Keei 'Jambusan'
Longicaudia 'Pudimgbesar'
Minima
Moehimannii
Nevelli
Noritoi
Nurri
Parva
Pygmea
Striolata
Usterianna x Walkeri
Walkeri-Lutea
Wendetti 'Red'
Zukalii

See less See more
#309 ·

My tank has been taken over by crypts, I need to thin them out, lots of C nurii "pahang mutated", C affinis "Metallic red" and C Keei, I actually killed the CO2 to slow them down but it has had the opposite effect I think, since then my C hudoroi and C usteriana x walkeri along with the buces in there have taken off as well.

Len

#314 ·
I'm a huge fan of crypts but I prefer to have crypts that don't grow so large vertically. This is likely bc my tanks are on the smaller end of the spectrum and tall plants in small rectangular tanks (where the plant reaches the top of the water line) looks unpleasing to me.

Having said that, I got a new Fluval Spec V (5G). Definitely going with crypt parva and red wendtii.

Do the crypt experts have any other suggests for plants that will stay compact but are somewhat different than the aforementioned ones either in leaf shape or color?

I'm shooting for 30-50 PAR at the substrate level, no CO2 and Ferts will only include Flourish Comprehensive, minute Excel, and definitely Iron.

I'd love to add more crypts!

EDIT: alternatively, any crypts that have small leaves (I love crypt parva for this!) will do as well in my hunt!

#323 ·
Was just gonna start a thread and found this thread. So I think this is a better place to shoot my questions about crypts.

1.What crypt has dimpled leaf structure !! Want to have it in my new tank.

2. What cryp is 'reddest' of them all ? Wenditii red ?

3. How thick crypt parva can grow ? Can it look like a carpet if planted densely ?

Thanks for reading. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.
Sumer.

#326 ·
Anyone for my questions !!
1. Here is a list: C. bullosa, C. hudoroi, C. uenoi, C. keei, C. crispatula var balansae, C. aponogetifolia, C. wendtii (will get bullated leaves under certain conditions), C. pallidinervia. I'm sure there are others that I overlooked. Some crypts may have bullation in their leaves and loose them depending on growing conditions, but the first 6 mentioned above are always bullated IME.

2. Most crypts will get a bronze/rust color and not a true red like in some stem plants. C. wendtii 'green gecko' can have some nice red in it (probably the closest to a true red that I've seen). C. keei can get a nice rust color under high lighting. I would say C. wendtii 'red' is more of a brownish/bronze color.

3. Yes, C. parva can grow into a very dense thick carpet. It may take a while though.

Hope this helps.

#338 ·
I added a new link on page #2 about leaf color, "Why are RED plants RED

I think a good read that explains why our Crypt leaves look like they do.

If you have Crypt related informational links that would expanded the knowledge base please PM me and I'll add them to the Links page.

#341 ·
I'm sure this might have been brought up in this thread already, but 340ish posts isn't my idea of a pleasant evening. Anyway, the question, do ramshorns and/or pond emails eat crypt lutea or wendtii red? These are my first crypts (only had them for a few days now) and I'm seeing conflicting info in my searches.

Also: subscribed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

#349 ·
Crypts are a very adaptable plant. they send time each year above & below the water depending on dry/wet seasons in their native habitat. Crypts come from various types of water and soil conditions. From brackish estuary steams to acidic backwater to mountain fed streams. They also are effected by light levels.

I would not be surprised if the same variety of crypt in 5 tanks had 5 different variations of the same leaf color/shape based on tank perimeters .

#347 ·
Hello all fellow Cryptocoryne enthusiasts!

I have recently re-entered into the hobby and am gradually starting to
grow my collection. I currently am limited to the generally available
species, list as follows:
- C. Wendtii "Bronze"
- C. Wendtii "Red"
- C. Wendtii
- C. Pontederiifolia
- C. Parva
- C. Retrospiralis
- C. Crispatula var. Balansae

Just recently I set up an emersed growth tank. It is a bit unusual
configuration, I think you will find it interesting. If the thing succeeds
I will post more details & pictures.

I have lots of the Retrospiralis if anyone is interested in trading.

#348 ·
I'd love to increase my crypt collection. I recently purchased two species from my LFS (wendtii red, and lutea), and I've quickly fallen in love with crypts. I only have Java Fern to trade for your retrospiralis though. Don't know if that would work for you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

#350 ·
Just thought I would join in the convo here........I don't have many crypts, but I do like them :) I have 5 crypt lutea at the moment. I do have a question about them - I got them when they only had 2-3 leaves, and they were very small. I planted them in my high light + co2 injected tank, and the new leaves are.....brown? Is this normal?

#354 ·
Grats on your new crypts!

> 1. crypt balansae
In my conditions Balansae (4dKH, EI dosing, CO2 injection) grows like a weed.
I got a plant from the lfs in December. It had short emersed leaves. By last week
the leaves reached over 3 feet in length. I yanked the plant out, trimmed the leaves
off and put it in my emersed setup. I can't stand plants growing along the surface
of my tanks :-/

> 2. crypt albida
I haven't had this one.

#355 ·
Grats on your new crypts!
I yanked the plant out, trimmed the leaves
off and put it in my emersed setup. I can't stand plants growing along the surface
of my tanks :-/
Thanks for your reply. Another question....was it then difficult to transition it from underwater to an emersed set-up? I'm sure this caused yet another melt before it was able to grow in a pot?

#356 ·
IME Balansae is not very prone to melt. It had no melting issue going into my tank
(submersed conditions) after I got it from the store. Judging from the leaf shape,
it had been grown emersed at the farm.

I trimmed off all the leaves before putting it in my emersed setup so there's really
nothing to melt... It is too early to tell if the transition will be successful, but it looks good
so far, the first emersed leaf is starting to grow after less than a week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.