The Planted Tank Forum banner

Planted Discus

23K views 212 replies 26 participants last post by  bif24701 
#1 ·
I have a 48" 55 gallon I'm plan to put 5 small discus in. This will be a planted low tech tank. My filtration will be a Fluval 406 and a marineland emperor 400. I will have 2 3/4" of brightwell black substrate with ~1mm particle size. I am looking at low cost lighting, maybe an aquaticlife 2x54w T5HO. My temperature will be 84 degrees. Aquascape with wood and rocks.

Question: what problems do you foresee and what suggestions would you have?

Thanks

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pwwwuq

#189 ·
To add to the comments about black skirts, while I've not kept them with discus, I understand they can at times be nippers, and I believe they would be active enough to upset discus, so Bif, I would suggest you keep an eye on them.
There are a number of other good schoolers that are compatible with discus besides Cardinals and Rummies - Lemon Tetras are good, as are Glo-Lite tetras, and Head & Tail Lites. Harlequin or Copper Rasboras are also good schoolers that are compatible with Discus.

#191 ·
I think cardinal and runnies will both look great in that case. I guess availability and cost may determine which I chose.

5+ Aquariums
Reef, Planted, African Chiclids, soon to be: Discus

#206 ·
Beautiful Tank! Looks like endless hours of excitement to watch :D If I had a tank like that I think I would never ever watch tv again!

#201 ·
No comment on my reef?

5+ Aquariums
Reef, Planted, African Chiclids, soon to be: Discus

#203 ·
Keep discus however you want, theyll live but they won't be so pretty. It depends on your preference on what you want the fish to look like.

I doubt there is any sort of research papers discussing this, but there are plenty of threads on simplydiscus where it is talked about by experts with years of experience.

Poke around there for a while and see how it feels for you

#204 ·
I do know that sturgeon raised in captivity do produce a metabolite that is toxic to them and specific to these fish. A specific bacteria has been developed to consume it and they add molasses for the bacteria to help metabolize it. Only reason such research and care is taken on these fish is there value. Discus grow in flowing water so it's imposable for anything to build up. Though its only theory I can see that it's very plausible.

120 gallon mixed reef, 55, 36, and 10g Planted, 29g African rift lake chiclids..

#205 ·
I just joined this forum because of this thread :)
I would like to thank everyone who has posted!
I have been looking into turning my acrylic 60G aquarium into a discus tank for months now and finally started the process. I must say, out of every where I have looked online with information on discus, this thread has been the single most useful tool I have found! ESPECIALLY since I am dead set on having plants in my aquarium. This thread, so far, has really helped shape my understanding of discus, what to expect my maintenance requirements to be, and just how important the different aspects of their care is. I haven't finished reading through the whole thing yet, but I'm sure I will have a few questions once I have!

Thanks again everyone! I was getting worried I would never find a good 'one stop' for information on the new fishies I plan to be obtaining in the near future.

#207 ·
Okay, finally finished the thread lol
So I would like to start by saying that I fully intend on making this tank an environment that these fish will thrive best and want to spawn in. I plan on buying a tank or two to use for growing fry out once I get the hang of discus keeping. I would also, as long as their is nothing to oppose this being a good idea in any way, like to make this tank so I can also keep and spawn bristle nose plecos. (I wanted imperial zebra plecos, but they are simply too expensive for me at this time and I have read that sometimes they try to feed on the discus' slime coating. I figure they would be better to wait probably at least a year for with this in mind.)

I DO have a few questions.
Firstly, I am nervous about choosing a potting soil to put in pots for plants, so if anyone could direct me to a specific one known to be safe for aquarium use it would be greatly appreciated. What I've read has persuaded me to not even start the addition of plants for a good few months at least, but for future reference.

Secondly, what kind of lighting would everyone recommend for discus? I believe what I currently have is two Zoomed Flora Sun bulbs in two hoods over my tank. I would like it to be sufficient for the future plants to be added, but I mostly just want whatever will make their colors "pop" the most.

Thirdly, I have the API freshwater master test kit that tests pH, nitrates, ammonia, and nitrite, but not hardness of the water. What additional test kits, if any, do I need and what would be the ideal values for those tests?

Lastly, I know the answer to this question will most definitely be a resounding "no" from everyone in the fish community, but I have this green terror who I and my fiance love who we have thus far grown to 4" or 5" from about 1 1/2". He doesn't get along with any other kind of aggressive fish (I have tried quite a few and he either took their territory or attempted to die trying to keep his territory), but I have had him with two angels for months and he never shows any signs of aggression towards them and even shares food with them. It's so cute. No go on keeping him with the discus? There's no way I'll be able to get another tank large enough for him to be happy in, I just hate re-homing a fish I have come to love so much.

Well thank you everyone,
and if I'm imposing on your thread, bif, just let me know and I'll take it somewhere else. I just thought I mine as well post here since it seems all the pros are posting on this one :)

#208 ·
Welcome to our community! Thank you for your complements on my reef it was my love and I looked at it every day for hours if I could. Unfortunately I had to convert it to a African rift lake chiclid tank because I am going to Korea for a year without my family then we all move to Germany in Feb 2014. I'm in the Air Force this assignment comes up in a career once or twice. My wife would t be able to spend as much time as I did maintaining the tank. So we put her. 20 fish from a 40 breeder in the 120, looks nice but a real down grade from my reef. I'm still hurt over the whole thing.

Also thanks for what you said about the thread. It's was because so many took time to answer my questions and discuss the topic with me. It's because of them it turned out so well. I'm glad that's it's helped you so much!

Question one: I use miracle grow organic opting soil.

Second: what is the tank depth? Mine is 24" so I use 2x T5HO 48" and its plenty for medium light plants and no CO2. Sounds like you have T12 (old tech and not great for growing plants IMHO). Those bulbs are garbage too. Get high quality bulbs and a better fixture is my recommendatio.

3: Your green terror sounds like a green puffer. And they should be kept in salt water on e they are grown. No is the answer. Find him another home or build one.

Please ask your questions here i have no problem with that or with anyone posting repliesi u/answers.

120 gallon mixed reef, 55, 36, and 10g Planted, 29g African rift lake chiclids..

#209 ·
Thank you bif!

I believe my tank is about 24" in depth. I will definitely be looking into upgrades. If you have any suggestions for a particular brand for bulbs/fixture that would be much appreciated.

Also, I meant a green terror cichlid. They are a south american cichlid, which is why I ventured to keep him with angels. Everywhere I read online says they are too aggressive to be with angel fish, which is why I would think they aren't okay to be with discus. However, mine seems to get stressed any time he's kept with aggressive fish. Ever since I got rid of all my other cichlids and just kept him with my angels, he seems happier than ever and never shows any signs of aggression towards anyone.

#213 ·
Didn't see your picture before somehow and WOW! Your tank I a thriving.

#211 ·
Will, that's great. I am happy when I hear success stories. However it's said and repeated over n over again that the difference between a great tank and a thriving one is the details. Maybe you can put up a picture to compare and judge lol respectfully.

#212 ·
Alley, I have a Aqualife 2x 48" T5HO with ATO bulbs one is a 8k (I think) the other is their freshwater plant bulb. It looks great and has the power to reach well down into the bottom for great growth. All my plants do well and grow so fast we are trimming them every weeks or two. But any fixture like that will work. ATO and Giesemann make the best T5HO bulbs. If your fixture doesn't include bulbs or these brands it's worth getting these. Mix the color for more spectrum. like this:
http://www.aquacave.com/Giesemann-PowerChrome-Aqua-Flora-T5-Lamps-P2234C323.aspx

And this:
http://www.aquacave.com/Giesemann-PowerChrome-Midday-T5-Lamps-P783C323.aspx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.