The Planted Tank Forum banner

super low light suggestions

4K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Hilde 
#1 ·
I have been asked to plant a tank without spending much $.

Right now the only light is a single T8 grow bulb about 18" above the sub.
Anyone else have luck growing plants like Anubias and Crypts with such weak light?
Any other plant suggestions?

And if Anubias and Crypts are the way to go, would our for sale board be the best place to hunt some down?

#4 ·
the window is a possibility, however that would probably cause a ton of algae issues I would think. I'd need quite a few people with experience doing that to convince me to try it.

The tank is a 40 gallon tall. So it's about 17" from the sub to the tube.

#5 ·
Not necessarily. The tank has to be heavily planted. Along with all necessary nutrients to meet the demands of this arrangement. If not, you'll grow a plant know as algae. I use mostly window light throughout the year. Just a few days ago, my tank, do to the change of the sun's angle has started again to receive direct sunlight for a few hours and will continue so until sometime in spring when it does not. I've been doing this for decades. This is what I mean by heavily planted. Do you understand?

#10 ·
I do understand the heavily planted requirement, and I figure that it would likely do best with some CO2 to match the high light.

I have neither the money to plant that heavy, nor to buy a CO2 system. Plus this tank should be kept simple if possible, and as far north as I am in the US, angle of light, hours of light, and intensity of light (clouds) would vary a lot. Which, I would guess, could require more work to adjust co2 and ferts to match those yearly changes.

In the end I think a second T8 bulb is needed to grow most plants at that depth. I'll probably look into another hood.

Bump: also, Bruce:

Your CFL is likely much brighter than a single T8 tube. T8's are fairly dim.

#11 · (Edited)
I have neither the money to plant that heavy, nor to buy a CO2 system.

In the end I think a second T8 bulb is needed to grow most plants at that depth. I'll probably look into another hood.

Bump: also, Bruce:

Your CFL is likely much brighter than a single T8 tube. T8's are fairly dim.
Don't think 2 T8s will be enough since it is 17 in high. For I had a 29 gallon which is 18in. I started with 2 T8s then added another. Was never strong enough for low light plants. Wasted money on under-counter lights. Cheaper to get CFL light with the clip on lights. There are ways to make it look pretty. Check out youtube.

Here is a 29g with 4 CFLs

#12 ·
I've been looking around and it seems like the options are these:

~$60-100 for a new hood that holds multiple bulbs, may as well choose one that sports two t5HO's instead of two t8's since they would be similar costs.

~$60-100 for a new LED hood (those prices aren't necessarily focused on plant-in-mind set ups)

~$24-42 for 3 shop lamps and some good CFL bulbs to go in them.

It looks like I'll need to pick a cheap (but not crappy) LED hood, that looks nice, and favors plants, and then do some research at homedepot's website and see if I can make something that looks good for less than that costs.

I bought your typical anubias, a nana, and some java fern, about $6 each, as I know they aren't picky plants. I didn't want to get them at first because the light I have isn't enough. But now I know there isn't really any choice but to get some new light.

(Not because sunlight isn't bright, and available, but because it's just too beyond my control, and it's way outside my price range to use CO2 or plant that heavily. The 2 $6 plants could heavily plant a gatorade bottle, there's no way I'm buying enough plants to pack a 37 gallon tank with them.)

#19 ·
The 2 $6 plants could heavily plant a gatorade bottle, there's no way I'm buying enough plants to pack a 37 gallon tank with them.)
Been there! I'd give you some plants if I had extras. In a couple of weeks I'll have a baggie of floaters I could send you for $6.

Maybe post a wanted thread and see if someone will give you free trimmings? The more plants you can get the fewer problems you'll have.

#13 ·
Java fern is super undemanding. I have a few in my tank that are doing great since I started doing EI dosing.

you should try the EI method. I got a pound each of Potassium Nitrate and Potassium monophosphate for $10 total from my local hydroponics shop. It really REALLY makes a difference how well the plants grow.

Remind me in a month or so and I'll be happy to send you a clipping of my Bolbitis fern when it's grown a few newer leaves (it's still recovering from being transferred to my aquarium)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.