The Planted Tank Forum banner

29Gal setup SOOO Close!!!(a bit lengthy)

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  pHish6_8 
#1 ·
A friend gave me a 29G(30x12dx18"h) tank that was collecting dust in his basement, and I'm about 90% ready to set the puppy up as a med-high light, high- tech system

Here's my plan:

I've purchased an Eheim 2213 as main filtration.
-Koralia nano pump for circulation(110gph?)

1 bag of Flourite, going in unrinsed
1 bag Eco-Complete, being transferred to the 29 from my first tank, a 10G.

2 bags, 20lbs each Caribsea freshwater gravel,

'Peace River", 1-2mm grain size and "Rio Grande', 3-5mm

Will be dosing the entire Seachem Flourish product line, incl. Tabs, until I run out, then switching to EI.

Pressurized CO2

Now for the dilemma:

I have EXACTLY $100.20 left in my budget for lighting. I've been through Hoppy's:angel: excellent thread re: PAR and t5, reflectors, Distance from the substrate, etc. and have narrowed it down to these fixtures:

I can go Coralife 30" dual T5HO, 2x31W, replacing the actinic for a 6700K or a Colormax bulb. As far as I know, Coralife is the only manufacturer to have a true 30" fixture on the market. I'm a little worried that in a year from now the bulbs won't be available.

Or Odyssea 2x24W(6700K) t5HO, or 4x24W(6700k) T5HO.
- As the reflectors on Odyssea's fixtures are less than excellent, I'm leaning towards the 4x24w, on staggered light duration. I'm also planning on using 1-2 layers of screening mat'l over the lights, to lower the overall light level, or hanging the fixture about 24" above the bottom of the tank, not incl. gravel...

Am I setting myself up for an algae war-of-the-worlds? I just feel that the mediocre reflectors would place the 2x24W out of my lighting goals...

What Say Y'all?:icon_eek:

See less See more
#3 ·
Couesfanatic,

Thanks for the reply

I've thought about LED, but I just plain-old can't afford the LED strips necessary to grow High light plants in a tank this deep...? I've got 100.00

#6 ·
I've got the Coralife 30" fixture on my 29g that you mentioned. I'm a bit concerned about what you said in your first post. Are they discontinuing the manufacture of the bulbs for my t5ho setup?!?! Sad news if its true. I love this fixture.

#7 ·
I was just concerned about the availability ina couple o' years - no panic intended.

I went ahead and purchased 2X Odyssea T5ho

2 24W fixtures, 96W total. 2 ballasts, 2 independent fixtures.

I have to say what I bought is overkill, but I want to play around with some screening effects;

I'm setting them up side by side, but off set, spanning 30"...
- 1 layer screen on the 2 outer bulbs, leaving last 4" bare at the ends.
- a 2-layer area right where the fixtures overlap in the middle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.