The Planted Tank Forum banner

Hair and Thread Algae is the same right? I think I have it blah

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  nyxkitten 
#1 · (Edited)

Hair and Thread Algae is the same right? I think I have lots woohoo

See less See more
#2 ·
lol, i would say you do!

as for it being the same, i have no clue. "hair" and "thread" arent exactly scientific names...

dont feel bad. you could be crazy like me and have tanks that have ONLY algae :)

the two ways i know of to get rid of it are algaefix and excel, neither of which are very good for your shrimp...

#3 ·
Hair algae

Grows in bright green clumps in the gravel, around the base of plants like Echinodorus and around mechanical objects. It has a coarser texture than "beard algae". Beard algae will ripple in the water current, hair algae tends to form matted clumps. Individual strands can get to 5 cm or more. This is easy to remove mechanically by twirling a toothbrush in it. Can be troublesome if left unchecked. This is a popular food supplement for fish among European aquarists.

Thread algae

Grows in long, thin strands up to 30 cm or more. Tends toward a dull green color (hard to tell because it is so thin). Usually indicates an excess of iron (> 0.15 ppm). Easily removed with a toothbrush like hair algae.

source: http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/algae.htm#hair

I gave up for a long time and just cultured hair algae for my shrimp and it worked the same as moss. Now I'm finally going to try again with moss...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.