The Planted Tank Forum banner

Does my hardscape look natural?

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  I3raven 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, this is my first day on the forums and it's also my first post. I have joined this forum to obtain advice from experienced and non-experienced aquascapers.

So, this is my hardscape after spending about an hour figuring out what angle and position looks the best. My tank is a 20 gallon long that is dirted and covered with gravel. I plan to plant Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green, Dwarf Sagittaria, Rotala Indica, Flame Moss, and Marsilea Minuta. Do you guys think the hardscape should be rearranged or is it good as it is? Thanks and be completely honest please :D

#9 ·
Which one do you think is more natural or flowing. Or you could just pick whatever you believe looks better. It would be nice if you stated why. Thanks!
I like both of these. The first one gives the flowing look and perception, while the second one gives depth to the scape with the largest piece being the focal point and in the back. If I had to choose I would choose the second. But in all honesty, we need to see the entire tank as a whole. Snap a good pic of the entire tank, so we can see where the hardscape lies.

#7 ·
I am not sure you are framing the photos so we can tell if the wood is placed well. The most prominent part of the wood needs to be somewhere around 1/3-2/5 from one end or the other to be most comfortable for our eye. We need to see the whole length of the tank.

I like both scapes and I liked the first one too, just place them a bit off center and any would make up a nice picture for you. For a 20 long I might be leaning toward the one on the left as it implies movement with the long diagonal top edge which complements the long low tank shape. I would place the heaviest part of the largest bit of wood at the sweet spot first and see how that looks.

There are a lot of good threads here on developing your eye for satisfying scapes, here is one.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=180044

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.