The Planted Tank Forum banner

Low Tech Tank Show-and-Tell (low tech can be lush, too! =)

2M views 2K replies 841 participants last post by  LidijaPN 
#1 · (Edited)
Been a while since we had a thread like this, so I thought I'd start another, since this is the way I like to share and learn from other people. :smile:

The idea in this thread is to post a picture of your low tech tank(s), explain the setup (equipment, lighting, substrate, ferts, etc) and briefly explain a few things you've learned that do or don't work with your setup.

#53 ·

Great tanks everybody... makes me jealous!

Here's my most favorite tank I've ever had.
These were the specs when it was at it's best:

5 gal hex eclipse system, Standard hood (10w 6500k daylight compact, 11hr photoperiod w/1 hr siesta) & filter

Dosing: Flourish 2x week, , Excel every day

Flora:
Cryptocoryne parva
Cryptocoryne spiralis
Hydrocotyle leucocephala
Microsorum pteropus
Spiral vallisneria (scientific name?)
SĂĽĂźwassertang

Fauna:
RCS... lots
limpets

Just starting out

In it's prime:

Now it's mostly subwassertang, and the C. parva have sent out 2 runners, but that's about it... it's not a glass tank, so some of the algae will never come off... so I've been neglecting it because it's not easy veiwing and I can't afford a new tank :icon_sad:

My 10 gal...

10 hr photoperiod w/1 hr siesta 2x15w 6500k daylight bulbs
Dosing: Flourish 2x week, Iron & Excel after WC, DIY CO2

Flora:
Anubias barteri 'Nana'
Cryptocoryne spiralis
Echinodorus ozelot
Echinodorus tenellus
Hygrophila difformis
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Microsorum pteropus
SĂĽĂźwassertang

Fauna:
RCS

This tank has also seen it's better days, never been able to get that microsword to carpet.

You can check out the tank threads in my sig to see their evolutionary track!

#59 ·
I'm really glad this thread was started. I started lurking on the forums here about 4 months ago then joined in January. Due to budget and maintenance time constraints I was immediately interested in Low-Tech tanks and I found no shortage of inspiration and great information here on this wonderful site and APC. :icon_smil :icon_smil :icon_smil

I intended to start a tank journal after I decided to rescape my tank but I still haven't gotten around to it. One of the things that really got me excited about learning more about the plants in my tank were all the excellent journals I found here with tons of pictures. Hopefully my scaping and camera skills have improved to the point that someone else will enjoy these the way I did when I started on this planted journey. :hihi:

This is a before and after shot of my 38 gallon tank. Full specs and stocking list can be found in my sig link. Its amazing how different this tank is now... Thanks again TPT members for all your help and advice!

This is the before shot... taken sometime in late December or early January. The DW with Java Fern was relocated to the 10g and the Hornwart was tossed.

And this was a photo taken today after a water change. My front glass is a bit dirty and could use some cleaning but I think this still gives a good indication of how far the tank has come!

Just one more :icon_wink

#60 ·
Yeah I'm really enjoying this thread! I get tired sometimes of people thinking that going high tech is the ONLY way to have a full, lush, and gorgeous planted tank! There's always more than one way to skin a cat. And I'm glad you unlurked yourself, Takedakai- the tank is looking great. :icon_mrgr

Keep 'em coming, guys!

#61 · (Edited)
I just put together a new one (it's cleared up some, still a bit cloudy):

10gal tank
Lighting - 15 watt T8
Filter - AquaClear 70 HOB
Substrate - Flourite black sand
Heater - 50watt Marineland StealthPro

Stocking- none yet
This tank will house a fancy male Betta spendens, 10x Boraras brigittae, and 7x dwarf Cories (hopefully C. hastatus)

#64 ·
I just bought a aquaclear 70, big Als was selling it for 19.99!! I could use it for my 10g that Im working on. I'm not sure what kind of fauna I will have in there...What wouldn't I be able to keep with that filter if I decided to use it? ex. Neons, I have baby lyretail swords that I was thinking of putting in there once they got bigger and the tank was cycled, cories, shrimp maybe?

#66 ·
Any of the fish you're considering would be just fine with an AC70.

The only reason a Betta is iffy is that I'm considering a long-finned fancy one, and these have such long fins that it impedes their ability to swim, so strong currents can make things difficult as well as the fins tend to get torn. A short-finned Plakat or female betta would be fine, but that's just not what I want LOL

The vast majority of other fish and critters wouldn't have any issues at all. The filter actually is quite small, not much bigger than the old Whisper I used to run on this tank years ago...

#67 ·
Here's mine:

It still needs to fill in, but the important thing to note here is this is practically a no-tech tank. I do nothing other than keep top off the water every day, and feed the betta. I rinse the filter pad about once every month or so. That's about it. I could make the marsilea grow faster by bringing the light a little closer, and dosing Excel every day. But then I would have to do stuff, man.

#68 ·
That marsilea will grow to the top of the tank right? Is that when it will have the four leafs? The reason I ask is because that is a nice looking plant and if it did stay small and requires low maintance I wanted to know where I could find it. And exactly what species it is so I may track it down? When I googled it I was lead to believe it is not a fully submerged plant and that there are 65 different species of it. Sorry for all the ques.

#69 ·
That's Marselia minuta, which looks exactly like it does now it won't get any taller. M. quadrifolia will grow leaves divided like 4 leaf clovers, that might be what you're thinking of?

Church- what are the specs on your tank? (size, light, filter, etc)

#71 ·
Thank you! I see read that it would work even in a low light tank. I will be keeping my eye out for this. If anybody knows a seller please pm me with the info. I guess I should post a WTB in the SnS too, even though its probably better just to wait till someone offers it.

#72 ·
absolutely amazing to see soo many tanks, where at first glance you think to yourself "that has to be a high-tech tank" only to find out the clever choice of plants and aquascaping makes all the difference.

it just goes to show that you can have an awe inspiring tank on the low-tech / budget side of things.

#77 ·
I'm trying to figure out what I am lacking. The only plants that show growth are my sprialis, one of my crypt parva (of 3), and java moss. My marsilea minuta that I just got hasn't shown much but the frog bit that I got with it is doing well. I just reduced my photo period again to 9hr down from 10hr becasue of algae on the glass and staghorn on my middle java ferns. My substrate is a mix of flourite and gravel which has me thinking I am lacking macros and micros perhaps? I just put in 5 flourish tabs around the tank that I had for a while opened but in a package. Do they go bad?

#78 ·
Need for additional nutrients is directly related to lighting and nutrient supply already in the tank (ie substrate and bioload). You have to be very patient with low tech tanks- growth is always very slow.

Do you already have a thread going for this so this one doesn't get hijacked?

#80 ·
No need to apologize! :fish:
I just realized that I never posted my 46gal in this thread before now. These photos might help you see how slowly it's grown in (the pics are dated):

Lighting- Coralife 2x21 watt T5NO
Filter- Eheim 2217
Heater- Hydor ETH 300 watt
Substrate- Mineralized Topsoil capped with mix of Flourite black and Colorquartz

Plants:
Assorted Crypts (lots of wendtii varieties, lucens, parva, cordata 'rosanervig', willisi, etc)
Hygrophila angustifolia
Hygro kompkt
Echinodorus tenellus 'red'
HC
Ranunculus inudatus
Val nana

Current livestock (not done stocking yet):
5x Betta simplex
5x Amano shrimp
10x Assassin snails
Assorted other pond, ramshorn, and MTS snails

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.