The Planted Tank Forum banner

Favorite Low Light Reds?

956 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  discuspaul 
#1 ·
Just wanted to see what everyone's favorite low tech red/pink colored plant was. I went through the low tech list and found a few nice ones. Does anyone have success with a particular red/pink colored plant in a low tech tank?

I am in the process of searching for some good ones for my tank.

Post your pics too!

#3 ·
I like both Rotala rotundifolia and rotala wallichi. Alternanthera reinckii is very nice in a low tech; though some people have issues with this, it also grows more slowly. Other stuff that I've tried are Hygro polysperma rosanervig-works well with nice pink leaves and Echinodorus 'Reni' and 'Rubin'; suitable for larger tanks. Aponogeton crispus ‘Red’ is also impressive in a large tank, I've tried this in CO2, but I'm sure it'll do well in low tech.

#5 ·
I really like those red tiger lilies. How tall did yours get?
Red Tiger Lotuses are a great red plant that do well in a low light/low tech tank. They can easily be 'trained' to stay low & bushier in a smaller tank (in the area of 4" x 4",) but can also be allowed to just grow without trimming - their leaves will then stem out to the water surface, even in quite tall tanks, up to 20" or more . You can 'manage' them pretty much as you wish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.