The Planted Tank Forum banner

Evaporation cover for my tank

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Lia 
#1 ·
I have a nova extreme fixture so it sits above my tanks my question is whats the best material so I don't lose any lighting when it has to pass through the cover? Glass? Plexiglass? Acrylic?

Price is also a concern but if there's an extreme Benefit to use a more expensive product I would love to know befor I go nuts at ace hahaha

#2 ·
If yu go with one of the 'plastic' materials it should be thick enough not to sag. This added thickness might reduce the light.

I like glass for a top because it seems to clean up better than any of the 'plastic' materials. If needed I can scrape it with a razor. Sure cannot do that with acrylic or plexi of any sort!

#4 ·
Just yesterday somebody asked about this and got some info. Apparently even dirty glass isn't going to make much of a difference.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=198892&highlight=dirty+glass

I bought the thin cheap acrylic stuff at HD and wow does it warp! I would not use that if lights are resting on top. If I flip it over every couple days it stays flat enough but if there was something on top it would warp enough to fall into the tank. In my defense it looked the same thickness and type as the acrylic top of the old tank, wrong.

#7 ·
Super Cheap - Saran Wrap....Great for the fish room project tank.

DIY Cheap - Goodwill Picture Frame - Cut glass to size, them sand the cut edge with emery paper.

You need to get into 1/4" Lexan Acrylic to not have flex, and even that will flex if the unsupported length spans start going over 2".

#9 ·
The only thing I'd add is to make sure there's still some gaps between the cover and the tank. You don't want to suffocate the entire thing as obvious as that sounds. I leave an inch on both front and back of the glass so it can still get air in it... I actually have the top on for different reasons than evaporation (to stop the cat from drinking it and to retain some heat for my CRS as there's no heater in there). You'll be able to slop evaporation but don't think it'll completely stop it from happening as you'll still need to add water or just do water changes even with a top on.

#10 ·
I like glass. I actually went to a glass shop. I have a 20gal high aquarium. I got glass cut to 23 3/16in long and 9in wide 1/4in thick, with what they called a knock down edge, so it wouldn't be sharp. It was about $9. I have about an inch in front that I drop the food into, and the space in the back is for the filter. Works great, and was inexpensive. My light is right above the glass.

#14 ·
I like glass. I actually went to a glass shop. I have a 20gal high aquarium. I got glass cut to 23 3/16in long and 9in wide 1/4in thick, with what they called a knock down edge, so it wouldn't be sharp. It was about $9. I have about an inch in front that I drop the food into, and the space in the back is for the filter. Works great, and was inexpensive. My light is right above the glass.

Having a glass place near by is great. When I used to live in NY you could find anything and I used to go have it made exactly as I wanted because I can't stand the regular tank covers but here in my area of S.FLorida there are none to be found so tried polycarbonate tops and love it but it would be nice to have glass place.

#13 ·
POLYCARBONATE SHEET will not warp and close to impossible to break plus more transparent than glass.

Once you use it as tank cover it is impossible to go back to those flimsy glass covers. I used to break them all the time when I cleaned them in the shower but the POLYCARBONATE is unbreakable and never a scratch unlike acrylic.

In my area it is impossible to find so I have had to buy it from site

http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/polycarbonatesheet.html

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.