The Planted Tank Forum banner

My first C02 injection

820 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Ozymandius 
#1 ·
OK, I have a 15 gal High dirted tank with the Odyessia 4 bulb t5ho and a C02 system attached. The C02 system was sold to me by a friend used, so i got a great deal on it (I think). Its a 5lb tank with a regulator, needle valve, bubble counter and the like, but no diffuser and no solenoid. At the moment i have it running with just 1 bubble every 2 seconds due to not really knowing what I am doing to test the PH drop and all, but does anyone have any ideas or suggestions to help me get everything correct? i have it running all day and night because I don't know how to set the tank on a timer without a solenoid, and my understanding of most of this kind of thing is almost non existent due to only reading about it and not ever actually doing it.

#2 ·
Did the regulator come with a solenoid? If so, put that on a timer as its basically an electric switch. Otherwise, just increase very very slowly. Adjust once each week or so and look for stress. I really reccomend a solenoid as ull save a lot of CO2. Less chance of gassing fish at night as well.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
I do not think it has a solenoid, seeing how it looks to me to be more a beer co2 injecting system instead of one made for what i will be using it for. ill try seeping it up, All i have in the tank at the moment are a few Zebra Danios because I figured they would be good as far as not dying but showing signs of distress.

Thank you for your help as well :)

#4 ·
Diffuser is also a good idea. It lets the co2 dissolve into the water instead of bubbling up to the surface. There are lots of diffusers available.

Cheap choices if you're on a budget:
(1) diy reactors in case you use a canister. Look in the diy section or Rex Grigg's site.
(2) You can also get a cheap glass one via the Shanghai / Hong Kong express on evilbay. They can leak a little along the edge of the ceramic but you can put a little superglue along the edges to seal.
(3) Stick the tube either in the intake of your filter or under the media if you have a HOB. The large bubble breaks up when it goes through the impeller or through the sponge of the HOB.

Good Luck.

Ozzy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.