The Planted Tank Forum banner

rcs died

782 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Tinder 
#1 ·
hello all, today i noticed that a female RCS of mine died smetime last night. yesterday morning i had about .2 ammonia, 2ppm no2 and 15ppm no3, so i did a 50% wc taking all the proper steps to insure not a whole lot of stresswas taken, and i used aqueon water conditioner as instructions say to dechlorinate. i was wondering if it was possibly a molting, but the colo is a red that is darker then she was before the w/c, any ideas?

Posted from Plantedtank.net App for Android

#5 ·
yes i know its not cycled, but that was a mistake. the 29 gal tank ran for a week with cycled gravel and a filter ive bee runnin on my main 55gal fora month specifically so i could set this tank up, 4 fish from the main tank then a 85% wc before the shrimp arived to prepare for them. i sont know what i did wrong in this, but im doing daly 50% PWC till the situation is fixed. there also is no symtoms of new tank syndrom or anything with the other shrimp, the are just swimmin around, climbing on things and eating as normal.

#6 ·
If there are ANY nitrites present your tank is NOT cycled. Nitrite kill shrimp. You need 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates and your nitrates need to start coming down before it's 'cycled'. Get nitrates below 20ppm.

And because you're tank was not cycled and you did an 85% water change you may have caused another mini cycle.

#7 ·
i understand that ; caused the issue, there where none of this in the water before the large scale WC except like 10 ppm, and i had always read that very little of the BB likes to hang out in the water column. ill research for what step i did not do corectly, because i was always told fully cycled filters and gravel would work fine for maybe 20 rcs in a 29gal, but what can i do t save my shrimp in the now?

#9 ·
Just one thing, These guys are usually very hardy. Mine RCS have ended in tank with ammonia ~1 and nitrates and nitrites sky high, they won't die. I tested with a new tank (mine 80G CRS) and dump 5 guys in it (dumb me, they multiplied) and they survived the whole 1 month of cycling, the worse part one female got berried and I didn't noticed, so until today I have been culing RCS from my CRS tank.
Now that's why the other guysyou have in your tank are fine, they are hardy as nails (best shrimp for beginners, if you can't keep RCS you probably are in the wrong hobby) :biggrin: :proud:

#11 ·
i work 12 hour shifts, so i just used the safe start and checked on all my shrimp. after a couple mins with the light on, they are all a healthy color and acting normally. thevest majority came from a breeder on this ste, but i was given 3 shrimp from a buddy who wanted to rescue his survivors from a shrimp eating fish in his tank. they where lfs shrimp(not the good kind of lfs either) and it was one of the newer ones that died, im starting to think maybe this girls death was tied to that somehow. also, to respond to the above post, this is in now way a test or stress tank on purpose, it is my first shrimp tank, so i guess that can beconcidered a testing phase but i am trying all i can to correct this mistake and create a healthy enviroment or my shrimpy friends. i posted this for help with keeping them through this, nothing more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.