The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fluval Stratum one day cycle?

8K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  deaf123 
#1 ·
Looks like I have green algae problem and have some red worms inside my tank...
It's getting nasty!
I want to transfer plants, about 75% of water and about 30-40 snowball shrimp to new 10g tank.
I will be using fluval stratum substrate and was wondering 1 day cycle would be safe.
I heard fluval stratum doesn't leech amonia is that true?
One of my tank, I am using fluval stratum and shrimps are doing great. (ofcourse I did 7 weeks of cycle)
Anyone who have used fluval stratum, please help.

#2 ·
Transferring water doesn't really do anything, 99% of the bacteria we need are in your substrate, on the plants, roots, driftwood and most importantly, inside the filter. If you get the new soil, fill the tank, put in your plants, transfer over the filter, it should be fine.

#3 ·
Transferring water doesn't really do anything, 99% of the bacteria we need are in your substrate, on the plants, roots, driftwood and most importantly, inside the filter. If you get the new soil, fill the tank, put in your plants, transfer over the filter, it should be fine.
Bascially tranferring whole tank expect soil and sponge filter. I will be transfering my eheim filter and adding new sponge filter. My spong filter has too many green hair algae...
Thanks for the reply.

#4 ·
i cycled my EBI in one day. I used new fluval shrimp stratum, all RO water. BUT.. I rinsed 3 nice size sponge filters from my other tanks and left the sponges in overnight too. I put driftwood and a bunch of plants in the tank. the tank has driftwood, moss and plants.
I put a few cherries in there to see how they would do and they lived!

#5 ·
I think you will be ok with taking the ehiem over. I would squeeze the filter into the new tank like stated before to seed the substrate. I removed all my substrate and re did it with FS with everyone still in the tank. A couple water changes and everything went fine. Not 1 loss and I did this in 3 tanks. All neos or tigers. I would be a little more cautions if ever doing it with crystals

#8 ·
You might be able to do the swap and keep it stable with the seeded eheim. It will be risky though. If anything dies, or there is any organic decomp, you will have a compromised bio-filter which will have trouble keeping up.
You won't necessarily be getting to the root of the problem either. A few months down the road, you might be in the same boat all over again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.