The Planted Tank Forum banner

Help please! - Brown Water

977 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Jopo 
#1 ·
So my 2g had been running fine for a while but has now exploded with brown water/some sludge on plants. It started off getting milky and then turned brown (distinctly brown, doesn't look like Green Water). I've been using Flourish, Excel and DIY Co2 (hagen canister). Firstly, i think i was using too much CO2, using the full Hagen DIY recipe from this board. Then my canister got knocked over and the CO2 brew was pumping into the tank, could that alone have caused the brown water? The other thing i was thinking-i read a bit about silicates in sand causing algae. I had been using river sand fine since June on a one gal but when i switched to a two gal a month ago, i needed a bit more sand so i bought a little pouch of that sand used for Hermit Crabs. So, is it from the Co2 brew and i should just wait it out or should i get all new sand? Any insight would be much appreciated...

#2 ·
getting Co2 brew in your tank water should have been cleared up with a simple water change. it sounds like something is biodegrading in your tank. try removing/pruning all melted plant & root matter and anything wood or ceramic and see if that helps a few days after another water change.
It's possible enough of the Co2 brew alcohol killed good bacteria and micro organisms, which means your gravel and filter may need to new tank cycle again, so be patient and water change often making sure to use Dechlor till things stabilize. If you have another long ago cycled tank, try exchanging some wet & slimy filter media with it so your cube filter cycles faster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.