The Planted Tank Forum banner

were to buy siamese algae eater?

8K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  PineyMike 
#1 ·
I can't find them locally and even having a hard time finding them online. has anyone found a place that has true siamese algea eaters(not flying foxes)

#4 ·
A lot of LFS will sell True SAE's labelled as flying foxes. That is how I purchased mine.

Often they are either mislabelled or mixed in the shipments with flying foxes and False SAE's. Someone had a good link distinguishing SAE's from flying foxes and False SAE's.

#5 ·
True SAE's don't have a gold stripe above the black one along the lateral line, the fins are clear, not tinged yellow or gray. There are other ID clues, but I don't remember them.

Tommy

#8 ·
How big is "huge"? One of mine's almost full grown @ 4+" and he's not the least bit disruptive or aggressive. Are you sure you didn't have a Flying Fox/ "
False SAE"? They are known to get bigger and be more aggressive.

Tommy

#9 ·
I have 4 in my tank and have had them a year and a half. They graze almost constantly.

One of the local walmarts has a tank of what I suspect are SAE - they all have the clear fins with the extended black stripe. Some *might* be flying foxes but I don't think so. I've been tempted to pick up a few and grow them out to see.

#10 ·
I've been in a few Pet Smart stores where they kept some SAE's in the plant tanks for algae control. But, I'm sure that not all Pet Smart stores do this.

#11 ·
I must have recently had a couple of false SAE's. They had small barbels like SAE's, but they had yellowish-colored fins and there was a tinge of gold on the body. They were not like this when I bought them young - they were clear. When I got rid of them, they were about 3-3.5" long and were getting a little destructive with the plants. My elatine trianda almost didn't make it. They were also mildly aggressive towards the other fish. I'll need to be REAL careful next time I buy one.

#14 ·
It will be at least $25. There's a section under 'FAQs' that briefly touches on it, but barely. Understandable that one would miss it. I just ordered somethin a few weeks ago, had to go Sat. delivery (which is more expensive, and of course becasue of live fish was overnight) and it was $45.

#15 ·
Arizona Aquatic ONLY uses overnight. I believe it starts around $25 and goes up depending on how much you order. I ordered 8 SAE's from them about a year and a half ago. I'm almost positive shipping was just under $30. On the plus side their fish are very healthy and they are definitely TRUE SAE's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.