The Planted Tank Forum banner

Green slime algea problems

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ][ kaliningrad][ 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a 15 gal planted tank that is haveing problems with green sime algea, the tank has been running for a month and half or so, the slime algea just started this past week though.

Before this I was haveing trouble with some type of brown fluffy-ish slime algea that went away after a partial water change .

Is there an algea eater that will eat this tpe of algea? Right now I just have a pair of Kribs in the tank along with two flying foxes. I will also do another partial water change this week to see if that helps.

#2 ·
You might try getting a couple snails. They can be a little hard to control the population of, but mine cruise around and eat algae off leaves and the glass. I know that Siamese algae eaters (SAEs) will eat hair algae, but not sure about your slime algae. Just out of curiosity, did you buy the Flying foxes thinking they were SAEs? I would get rid of them as they don't eat much algae(if at all) and can get a little aggressive. I had a couple that I bought on accident and they started eating my elatine trianda and other tender-leafed plants. Just a word of caution.

#3 ·
Green slime algae is actually a bacteria, not an algae. No fish/snail/shrimp will eat it because it is toxic. The best way to get rid of it initially is either using E-mycin or a blackout, I perfer the anitbiotic. Then to keep it away make sure that you keep a balanced tank.

#4 ·
Are you thinking of blue green algae? as far as I can tell, green slime algae is similar to gsa(green spot) and my snails are eating it as we speak.

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies, I checked out the link, and my algae is the GB slime. Actually I bought the fish at SAE, but I called them Flying fox because I thought that was another name for them heh. They are kind of lazy though, they stick together and work on the same little pieces of gravel at the same time lol.

How long can plants go without light if I do the blackout thing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.