The Planted Tank Forum banner

What algae is this?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  caymandiver75 
#1 ·
I have algae and not sure exactly what to do. :(

I have pressurized C02, but the other day my tank ran empty and I didn't realize it for almost 2 days. Well almost 1 week later I now have an algae issue. I am dosing the EI method and have pretty good lighting. Per several suggestions I am going to back the lighting down to 8 hours a day for the 2 CF lights (110watts) and 4 hours a day (56watts) T5 bulb fixure. Some people say

Do I need to crank up the CO2? I have a C02 indicator on my glass that is showing more than needed C02 levels, so I'm not sure about that. Fish seem to all be doing well and no signs of stress. Also the plants are pearling like crazy. Just look at the picture of the moss below and you can see how much it's bubbling.

Anyone with first hand experience want to share?

See less See more
#3 ·
The first two look like a buildup of either Green Dust Algae or Green Spot Algae. I have a piece of driftwood that has a heavy buildup of Green Dust and it looks exactly like that. Most people associate these algaes as growing on the glass but they will buildup on your plants and hardscape also. As for the moss pics I really can't tell.

#5 ·
Damn so I'm getting tag teamed, huh? I reduced the lighting today and upped the CO2 a bit. Hope this helps. I guess I'll find out in a few days how this treatment works. I think I have plenty of plants in there, so i'm not really sure how this occurred.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.