The Planted Tank Forum banner

Activity

69K views 885 replies 67 participants last post by  GMYukonon24s 
#1 ·
Hello All, My name is John, and I'm kind of curious as to where most of the members here, in the Michigan subsection are. As well as what we're doing.

I'll start us all off.

I live in Birch Run, at the southern end of the tri-city area.

I currently have 3 tanks running, Oscar in a 55G, problem JD in a 15G, and a peaceful community tank of guppies and ghost shrimp in a 29G

I work at a place called the Goalpost here, we do pizza.

I'd love to hear where all of you are from, and what you've been up to.

#2 ·
Hi John,

My name is Mike and I am an aquarium aholic. LOL.

Anyways I live in the Grand Rapids area and unfourtantly I am tearing down more than I'm putting up right now.

But I do have a 29 gallon planted I'm doing right now. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=241706

I just tore down a 125gallon Angel/Ram Tank.

I have 2 Fluval Ebi's that will be put back up once the move is done.

I have 1 Fluval Spec (the long one not the square one) that is in my daughters room.

I work for a machine builder. I'm a controls engineer.

#3 ·
Hi John and Mike,

I'm Chad and I currently have running 2 20 gallon high's and a .2 gallon on my desk at work.

One of the 20G is my OEBT with some supreme reds to be added today. The rest of the tank is moss and manzanita for the shrimpies

The other 20G is a planted tank with full fertz/CO2 and some guppies, harlequin rasbora, Albino pleco, and 2 amano shrimp.

I also live in the Grand Rapids area and work at a furniture manufacturing company doing IT

#8 ·
Hi!

I'm Bree and I also live in Grand Rapids area.

I have a basic (and pathetic) 1.5 gallon set up with 3 male guppies that rekindled an interest in aquariums, so I'm slowly putting together a 40b as my first planted tank. I just need to get the stand finished and find some hardscape materials, and then I'm ready to start cycling. But I still have a lot to learn and some little things to collect.

I work part-time at a printing company, part-time as a professor, and slowly transitioning into a full-time and self-employed freelance illustrator/artist.

#9 ·
Cool beans.

So what LFS are you guys using?

I'm a big fan of Shane at VIPets on Plainfield. He is always willing to track down what I want.

Bluefish is expanding some more and they have a pretty good selection of fish and plants. Most of the people who work there are pretty knowledgeable as well.

Of course when I get a second I like to go to Lansing to Pruess best pet shop ever!

When I'm in Kalamazoo I normally at least peak in at MVPets I liked them better though in there old location.

#13 ·
Hello Michiganders!!

I also live in GR.... right downtown!

I currently have the following set ups...

1) 75G planted with 60 Rummy Nose tetras, 6 otto's, 3 Cory's and a huge colony (1000+) wild Neo shrimp

2) 33G planted Fluval Studio with a nice colony of Cherry shrimp and 2 dwarf Puffers

3) 47G planted Fluval Studio with 80+ Yellow shrimp, soon to be a huge colony :)

4) 7G Fluval EBI with Fire Red shrimp

5) 7G Fluval EBI with 7 Penguin Tetras

6) 29G planted with 10 very young black Angels, waiting to find the mated pair

7) 75G with 100's of Muilti Grass Guppies

8) 5G with a mated pair of Orange Crawfish

9) 5G with 6 Orange Shrimp, two of them are holding :)

:red_mouth

#16 ·
We should set up a GR trade thread. Just to trade plants, inverts, etc.

It'd be cheap!

- Mumford
I'm always down for trading stuff!!

Totally Mike....... I'm sure I'll have plenty extra, I'm a shrimp hoarder!! :)

I'm a big Bluefish fan..... Ben and Jeff are super great people! I finally paid my dues to the GVAC this year as I've known many of the great members for years from the swap meets and auctions!

I dream about 125 gallon tanks......

#15 ·
Once I set up my tanks after the move I'd be down for some yellow shrimp. I had a crash in my colony and I'm down to just a few. I'm suprised we have so many people in GR. I guess I under-estimated the number of us.

Bluefish is pretty nice. I think they had a few issues when they first moved but it looks like they ironed it out pretty well.

I'll always like Shane and the VIPets on Plainfield. He takes a lot of my stuff in on trade and thats pretty nice of him. Jenison store is very Meh. Greg runs it now and he'll turn it around but there is really low traffic at that location so it will take a while.

BTW none of you guys have a desire to pick up a 125 predrilled or a chiller or a panworld pump or a sump? Stuff that won't make it on the move but need to find a home. I'm thinking of selling it or trading it soon. Just wondering.

#18 ·
Responses.

I'm so Glad to see the activity here.

I've been lurking trying to find someone in the shrimpery section in Michigan for months now haha, Now I know, Grand Rapids is the place to go.

My stores are limited, Mostly Something's fishy in Clio, Meh on the overall.
Aquatic Gardens and Oceans odyssey pet store in Saginaw, also meh.

Not one person in any of those stores has ever asked my name.

Well, I've rambled, Glad to see activity in the forum, and happy to know there are more than 5 aquarists in Michigan.

#19 ·
If you ever get a chance go to Pruess. They may be too busy to ask your name but it is a must go if your anywhere near driving distance to it. It looks like Clio to Lansing is about the same as GR to Lansing. I don't know much about the people on your side of the state so can't help with anything closer. I know you have some world class guppy breeders. That's it for my knowledge of fish and Detroit area.

#21 ·
I think VIPets in Grand Rapids but only the Plainfield location. The others will be a disappointment.

MVPets in Kalmazoo is a good one as well. There is a saltwater only place in Zeeland that is amazing but can't think of the name and don't think thats what the list is for anyways.

#22 ·
I'm pretty excited to see so many in Grand Rapids, too. I love the idea of a trading thread, but unfortunately I don't think I'd be able to contribute anything worthwhile for awhile (unless people like/want art, ha).

But I enjoy supporting local, so if I can't trade yet maybe then I can buy trimmings! Or shrimpies. I really want to have some shrimpies in the tank, but I still need to research if any of my target fauna will pose a major threat to them.

ETA: I'd never heard of Pruess, but I'm going to be driving across the state tomorrow. I'll see if I can convince the hubby to make a detour stop to check it out if you guys think it's worthwhile to see (even if I can't buy livestock/plants yet).

#24 ·
I'm right off of Lake St. Clair. So I'm like 2.5-3 hours from GR.

Right now I have 3 tanks setup which I took down 2 tanks.

110g - White clouds, mollies, cardinal tetras, black skirt tetras, glow light tetras, bleeding heart tetras, kuhli loaches, south american catfish, glass catfish, red eye tetra, bloodfin tetra, glass tetra, white skirt tetra, scissortail rasbora, and sakura shrimp.

55g - albino BN plecos, brown BN plecos, albino long finned BN plecos, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda cories, pygmy cories, smudge spot cories, and rili shrimp.

10g - Blue show guppies and deep red cherry shrimp.

#25 ·
It is worth the detour. I promise you. They are the best Freshwater Fish, Saltwater Fish, Reptile/Amphibian, Bird, and tank place in the state IMHO.

They breed a good deal of what they carry in store. I've had a tour its impressive.

http://preusspets.com/store/

That will get you to the website they have some videos that my get you to really want to make that trip.

PS I'm not affiliated with that store at all. It just is basically what I dream to own one day.

#27 ·
Preuss pets

I lived in downtown Lansing for almost 6 years, I only made it to Preuss's
A half dozen times, but loved it every time I went.

Shelob was amazing to watch, She was a giant Tarantula.

The Preuss breeding setup is on site if I remember correctly, which is more than impressive. Especially seeing as how everyone imports stuff cross country near me.

I've heard great things about the Fish doctors in I think Livonia, and Ypsilanti.

And Fantastic Fins in Detroit is also Highly recommended.

#28 ·
Maechael. You are right it is on site. If you find Rick (the owner) and show interest and it isn't a weekend (they are swamped) he may just show you around. I have some fish connections so maybe he was just being nice to me trying to get them I'm not sure but they seem pretty good. He breeds enough that he even supplies some other stores on occasion. They also breed reptiles, poison dart frogs, and birds on site. Really an impressive place they have. Its rare to find a good fish store let alone a good fish, bird, reptile, and small animal pet store.

Anyways pretty cool we have so many active guys/girls around the area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.