The Planted Tank Forum banner

Activity

69K views 885 replies 67 participants last post by  GMYukonon24s 
#1 ·
Hello All, My name is John, and I'm kind of curious as to where most of the members here, in the Michigan subsection are. As well as what we're doing.

I'll start us all off.

I live in Birch Run, at the southern end of the tri-city area.

I currently have 3 tanks running, Oscar in a 55G, problem JD in a 15G, and a peaceful community tank of guppies and ghost shrimp in a 29G

I work at a place called the Goalpost here, we do pizza.

I'd love to hear where all of you are from, and what you've been up to.

#525 ·
Well hello all, OP here is back for another update.
Just bought another 40B at petco dollar per gallon sale.
Hoping it replaces at least 3 smaller tanks, amd allows for some tank shuffling.
Truly wanting to be rid of large aggressive cichlids by the beginning of fall, and settledon into nice calm and quite community setups.

RCS finally bred for me after nearly a year, dozens of babies.
Mts population has skyrocketed,rabbit snails finally reproduced.

#530 ·
Hey let's see some activity here people.

New stufffor me, I've decided to start doing micro scapes in tiny containers.
Also I've fallen in love with meijer's plants, 5 bucks got 7 narrow leaf java fern clusters and 60+ 16inch rotala stems.

Time for some rescaping, mini/micro scaping and a ton of W/C's.

Hope all is well out there.

#536 ·
Tom in Warren here. I just picked up a 125 gallon that will be a planted tank. Planted tanks are new to me, so I'm still researching information. Hope to have it up and running in a couple of weeks.

Also have two 55 gallon discus tanks and a couple of 29 gallon tank with discus fry growing out (bought the juvies online).

Sold my 195ga reef tank and equipment to fund getting back into freshwater. It's been about 20 years since I had a freshwater tank. Always had oscar's and dempsey's.

Having a blast so far with freshwater!

Tom

#537 ·
Welcome there Tom, sorry it took me so long, haven't really been on here much lately due to extended work hours.

So many upgrades and changes and tweaks here.

All microscapes have been turned into Betta homes, with a lovely harem in a large bowl.

Will be rearranging the largest community soon and hopefully (fingers crossed) condensing 4 smaller tanks to a 55 gallon community.

#538 ·
The condensing has commenced folks.

One 29 gallon is already in the 55, with my rabbit snails who will hopefully breed nearly uncontrollably.

Work is picking up/slowing down much more than expected so after my anniversary dinner and date night I will be spending more time here.

Also maybe a huge piece n of news to come later regarding the hobby of shrimping,

#540 ·
Well I won't jinx it just yet, but it would be a learning experience from a much more knowledgeable practioner of this hobby.

Also looking for some shrimps if anyone in the closer mid michigan area has some breeding well.

Also, forgot to mention that I have acquired a 110 gallon tank that will eventually hold a very nice reef.

#541 ·
So recently rejoined the looking for work party, in my free time I'm condensing multiple tanks into on 55 gallon. Considering craigslisting the small stuff, recoup some fish food funds maybe.

Hoping to surprise the Woman in my life by setting up the Cube I bought her for christmas, and having it ready when she gets home. Beautiful 7.5 tank absolutely the clearest untinted glass tank we own. Thinking shrimp soil from Amazon, and a few small lava rock pieces, solid black substrate and hardscape make plants and critters POP. She needs a pick me up after today.

Hoping to get started on photo practice, and maybe posting pics I promised months years, ago.
find upload paste on page.

Bump: Also still seeking low end shrimps in the area, by low end I mean easier and cheaper.
culls would be awesome if available.

#546 · (Edited)
My local has rarely stocked, but when they do, 2-5 bucks a pop, Preuss is like 12.99 in Lansing, and Moby Dick's in waterford had the best looking and priced commercially like 2-15 but a large variety and different types.
preuss had some types, but same quality throughout.

I'm looking more in the, "these guys would make my colony look drab" feeder type RCS as these are the bullet proof ones, and I'd buy limited amounts of full reds to breed into, over time adding only pure reds one or two at a time due to cost to increase over all colony quality.

Would love to find a breeder who sells culls, or feeder grade cherries near me, but might have to drive out a bit to get some.

Also, since I'm on here, I'm considering putting in applications for various chain stores, so i can try and be helpful to the community of petowners, and maybe even an LFS or two just to see if they'd hire me.

#548 ·
The Imperial tropicals on Fleabay has caught my eye a few times, but I'm unwilling to risk 50 bucks for a box of shrimp on Ice right now.

They are what gave me the idea of hunting down a breeder for some culls, and a few higher grade shrimps.

Also, Blackheart if I remember you sold off some equipment and changed a tank or two over since we last spoke, how's that working out?

I've been condensing smaller communities into a 55 gallon lately, which will eventually house these shrimp I speak of.

Would love to see this thread lit up everytime I got on here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.