The Planted Tank Forum banner

Did my algaecide create something new? floating fibers?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  frostby 
#1 ·
Ok, I got lazy, ignored the tank for several weeks(aside from feedings), and i had a huge attack of the cyanobacteria(i spelled it wrong i 'm sure), not realizing it wasn't algae, and having everything in the tank coated, i panicked and in an attempt for a quick fix to save what i had, went the way of the algaecide :icon_sad: OOPS! Now, that i just slapped my own hand, lets continue!

The next few days I've noticed the water was filled with little tiny threads suspended everywhere, they look like 'fiberglass threads' but only 1/8' long or so, the cannister filter catches them, but doesn't seem to keep up... water changes reduce the concentration...

The tank water appears clear/not cloudy or green, but when i clean my sponges, they are definately 'green'...

But what do I have?! I've seen one other post, but nobody seems to have addressed these fibers yet!

#2 ·
I know exactly what you're talking about. I have the same fibers, and a diminishing problem with Cyanobacteria also.
I have come to believe that the suspended fibers are in fact the Cyanobacteria in its free-floating form. It seems that the organism reproduces and spreads through these free-floating threads, by clumping on plants and hardscape until it gather's enough clout to become a threat to our aquariums.
As far as I have been informed, killing the Cyanobacteria is the hardest part. It thrives on very similar conditions as do our plants: similar lighting, similar nutrients, similar temperatures.
However, I have learned that higher temps (78-80s) tend to promote it. Perhaps lowering your temperature, if you can, might put a dent in it.
The only solution I keep coming back to is to promote your plants' growth until it is outgrowing the Cyanobacteria. Because the Cyanobacteria is a lower life form than the plants, it has less survival capacity than they do. It is apt to absorb nutrients from the water far quicker and more efficiently than do most of our plants, since the plants absorb primarily through their roots.
With this in mind, it becomes a question of how established and how dense your plants are.

#3 ·
Thank goodness i'm not alone! Yeah it's full of plants, but when i pull the leaves that appear to turn to slime, it's getting thinner :icon_roll

I've got a rena filter, and it does appear to catch the stuff in the sponges, as I can see it when i clean them, but it must not keep up, because, it has been over a week now, and there are just as many fibers as before. Even after 2 50% water changes.

I guess I'll just keep up with the Nitrates, as suggested, low nitrates encourage the stuff to take hold.

I'd still love to hear if anyone else has experienced this. And to see when/how it started.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.