The Planted Tank Forum banner

Macro Shots *More on page 2*

4K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  sandiegoryu 
#1 · (Edited)
Microrasbora Kubotai 2nd day of having them

CRS

RCS

And a random shot of HM

Criticism welcome! Also I need help on correcting color. How do you do this without just guessing? I don't think I have the right colors on all those pictures...

See less See more
#17 ·
I got the kubotai from a shop in San Diego called Aquatic Warehouse. They sometimes have rare fish and I was just lucky.

I've searched for more information on breeding microrasboras in general and I haven't found much. I've found lots and lots of info on breeding Celestial Danios (otherwise known as Galaxy Rasboras), but it is a danio and not a microrasbora. I found slight information on breeding microrasbora erythromicron but they seem to be more danio-like.

I'm looking especially on more info for water parameters. I know that once I see the female get thin then I need to take out the parents and when the fry are free floating then I need to start feeding them tiny tiny foods which are probably abundant in the tank already. I THINK I need acidic water but I don't know how I'll achieve that without buying an RO filter. I don't want to buy RO water by the gallon too...

#18 ·
Hehe ninja'd twice.
Thanks Jessica.

Christin: Well you see it jumped out and I promptly fed it to my dwarf crayfish... So I have no proof that it is dead because it is gone now :-D. 20 min after I popped the body in the tank I checked to see if the body was being eaten and the head was already gone.

#21 ·
Oh that sucks! :(

I'm pretty sure they like soft water, but they may be adjusting since I bet AW keeps them in regular SD tap. I never bothered asking what their water parameters are. I still think you should find something to cover that tank, if temporarily while your fish adjust. Then again, some fish just like to jump.

#23 ·
Well I think I fixed whatever was wrong because the fish aren't jumping anymore. One strange thing I noticed is that the large fish is chasing the thinner fish around. And I thought that larger, fat fish are females and the slender ones are male. But the female is chasing the male around. Why?!

And I found info on Microrasbora "thuzari" breeding. They were kept in hard-ish water and ph of 7.2-7.3. The thuzari's are actually caught in Myanmar and so were the Microrasbora kubotai, so maybe they might breed the same way. So that ph and hardness isn't too hard to achieve so this could actually work! I just need another tank with no shrimp in it that could eat the eggs/fry. Perhaps my clado ridden 10 gallon... I bet they would like to use clado as a medium for spawning :p.

And styxx: I went to the LFS hoping to find Boraras micros that they had in stock before but they didn't have it when I went there. So I was looking around and I found the kubotai which I thought would have NO chance of showing up in the LFS. I was a happy boy until they started jumping but now I'm back to being happy :p.

#27 ·
VERY nice shots! I especially like the fifth in the above series where the Mras is turning to look at you. Sweet!

Have you thought of adding your pictures to the Fish and Plant Databases here? I think they'd be a fabulous addition!! Even if there's not a listing for the specific fish or plant, you could add it. Or PM me and I'll do the work of adding the listing and you can just upload your pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.