The Planted Tank Forum banner

Coincidental Success: Kiran's Do!Aqua 20cm Wabi Kusa Cube

134K views 216 replies 51 participants last post by  BettaBettas 
#1 · (Edited)
Most recent photo:

Story
Hey everyone. As many of you know, I've been making lots of Wabi Kusa lately and selling them, but I've also been keeping many for myself. I've wanted to do this for a while now, so when my dad told me he would be going to San Francisco on a business trip, I made sure he could go to AFA and pick up a Do!Aqua 20-C for me. He was in a rush, so I called AFA and placed my order over the phone so they could have the tank ready as soon as he got there. Props to the AFA people for being so organized and easy-going.

Scape
This tank is going to be comprised simply of four Wabi Kusa and water. I already have the Wabi Kusa on hand, so once I get the tank I'll be in business.

Most recent shot:

Here are the photos of the Wabi Kusa I will be using and the way I'll be arranging them in the 20-C. Let me know what you think, I want to hear your opinions!

I'm psyched to get the tank here, I'll post a photo of where the tank will sit soon. Enjoy!

See less See more
#4 ·
What do you use in the middle of your balls? I attempted one a while back with sphagnum moss that I had left over from some carnivorous plant stuff, it kind of worked but there was a lot of debris, maybe the moss was too cheap a quality. Those look really nice though, I have a bunch of floating stems in one of my tanks and this might be my next project.

#7 ·
Hey! Those plants look familiar! :hihi:

This is going to be amazing. Is it just going to be these balls or is there going to be a hardscape included?

Reactions: giramassi
#10 ·

I'm already loving this setup. The only thing I might change is I might move the Wabi Kusa (all four of them) upwards and a little to the right some. I'm all for empty space but I think this is a bit too much. Either I'll move it, or place another Wabi Kusa in the front right.

As you can see, it's covered some right now. Because my plants come in used to high humidity, it can take some time to acclimate them to an open-top tank. I will be covering the tank and slowly peeling it back over the next 1-2 weeks to acclimate it. That said, my plant suppliers are working on lowering the humidity of the plants before they even get to me. This setup will be misted 1-3 times per day.

#13 ·
Thanks Jake!

I'm actually trying to keep this as simple as possible, just as a proof-of-concept type thing (hence the title). The only wire I plan to have associated with this setup is the light. If I were to set up an automated Wabi Kusa setup though, I'd most definitely be using a mister!

#19 · (Edited)
One great thing that I just love about Wabi Kusa is the sheer speed of their growth. Here are a few shots of how it's coming along. To me, it's like bonsai, but faster. Because of the way they grow, you can predict what your display will look like. Here's how this one will play out.

1.) The HM ball on top will grow out and lusher, and cover the entire ball; then it will begin to drape down over the others.

2.) The mixed Bacopa sp. Wabi Kusa will grow both outwards and upwards. I'll trim it in a triangular fashion so the front is lower, the back higher, and it will lead your eyes into the other balls.

3.) The Ludwigia palustris 'red' (which is sort of hard to see now) will grow outwards and upwards, providing the display with a nice splash of red concentrated in the back right.

4.) The Hydrocotyle Japan will grow upwards in neat, flat layers like clouds. It'll look really neat.

So, here are the photos. I took the saran wrap off of the tank for the photos, but I'm still working on the acclimation. It's fine for 2-3 hours or so without any sort of cover right now, though.

The top of the display. You can see how the HM is already growing out, and fast.

If you look at the Ludwigia palustris 'red' ball, it's already shooting off in multiple places. In a week or so they'll be more visible.

And a couple of the actual setup. Wabi Kusa can really add a great splash of nature to any room.

Enjoy!

#20 ·
Well, Kiran....I have to admit that you've changed my mind on Wabi Kusa! Very artistic the way you do it, and it never crossed my mind to layer it. Does the top portion dry out, though? Do you mist that part daily, or does it wick up moisture through the bottom portions in the water?

#22 · (Edited)
Thanks, I'm glad to hear! It stays moist, I mist two or four times a day as needed.

Why do your threads always crash my tapatalk when I try to open one of your pics?

Anyway, cool setups. Fun little projects to keep you fresh. I'm planning a few of those too. When time allows.
I'm sorry, my pics must be too large. Lol.

Thanks! I'd be glad to supply you!

#34 ·
It's now been one week and one day since I started this setup. In comparison to my high tech iwagumi scape, this tank is a cakewalk. I did the first water change today. It's only really necessary every 2 weeks (or, depending on tank size and evaporation, a little less than that) but I wanted to just go ahead and do one.

The whole tank. It's really showing some nice growth.

Top-down shot. Check out the growth (especially in the L. palustris 'red')!

Side view of the L. palustris 'red,' which has grown the most so far.

Front view. Can't wait to watch this one grow out.

The growth rate, under the right conditions, of Wabi Kusa is quite amazing. The L. palustris 'red' really is growing at about 1/2 cm per day. The Hemianthus micranthemoides took a hit when I left it uncovered for the day to test its resistance to low humidity but is well on its way back. The Hydrocotyle sp. is slowly but surely on its way, and the Bacopa Wabi Kusa is spreading more horizontally than vertically, but that's okay.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are always welcome!

#40 ·
the top one is h. glomeratus?
if so, dont worry about it. the h. glomeratus in my emmersed setup didnt show any growth for 2 weeks, and then very little for another week. now its growing almost as obnoxiously fast as the h. tiger and nelsonia sp i have. i think its just a slow converter.

#42 ·
It's HM -- very similar, if not in fact the same (wasn't there some uncertainty regarding if they're actually the same plant a year or two ago?). Yep, like I said, I'm not worried. I think it'll be okay.

Why do I want a 30-C now?
Because of me! :cool:

I say go for it!

#43 ·
I will update the tank today after school: the L. palustris 'red' is doing awesome, the Hydrocotyle is on its way to greatness, and the bacopa is wanting to spread horizontally rather than vertically. That's okay, though. HM is still adapting to low humidity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.