The Planted Tank Forum banner

Overstocked but planted tank and Purigen

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Kunsthure 
#1 ·
My 37g is waaaaaay overstocked and I have nowhere to move any fish. It is being filtered by a single Fluval 206, so it's not being overfiltered the way I'd like. It is a planted tank and will have pressurized CO2 soon (in theory) so the plants will be growing faster. Would it still be a good idea to add some Purigen to my canister, or maybe even hang an HOB with some, to help deal with extra heavy bioload?

-Lisa

#2 ·
You're way underfiltered which is a bad combination with an overstocked tank. Have you tested for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? How have they been doing?

Anything you can do to increase filtration would be helpful. I'd also recommend doubling up your 50% water changes so you're doing them at least twice a week (more often if your water parameters indicate the need).

Perhaps you can sell some of the fish?

#3 ·
Doing either or really both of your suggestions is a good idea. Be sure to keep a check on your ammonia and nitrite levels. Keep the pH on the acidic side. This makes deadly ammonia become its much less toxic form which is ammonium. Plants can readily use this form of nitrogen.

Zeolite is a compound that will help to remove ammonia. It may be a good idea to add some of this to your canister filter and/or HOB. Here is an example of zeolite that I have used: http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?brand=184&q=ammonia+remover

Regular large water changes is a good idea.

Isn't there a local pet store that will take some of your fish in trade?

I got Ninjaed by Complexity. :)

#5 ·
It's not always so easy - I only have 2 stores - a lfs and a Petsmart - within an hour's drive, and neither will take fish, even for store credit. Oh sorry - I forgot my lfs will take FREE fish they feel they can resell. That's still better for overcrowded fish!

#6 ·
TBH, my tanks are so well-established that I haven't tested ammonia, nitrites and nitrates in years. I don't even have one of the ammonia test bottles because I ran out and never bothered to buy a new kit. This tank is over two years old.

These fish were all bought at Petco and can't be taken back. The LFS will only take what they can resell and wouldn't want any of the fish because they aren't special: gold barbs, diamond tetras, Von Rio tetras, LF gold zebra danios, an opaline gourami and some julii cories.

The fish don't looked stressed at all. Maybe I'm just perceiving it to be overstocked because many of the fish are small. :icon_idea

I have a giant Marineland HOB on my 75g I'll move over for added filtration. I'm not thrilled with the water movement from the Fluval output.

But, back to my original question, will Purigen be a good addition to this tank to help with the bioload?

-Lisa

#8 ·
I am an overstocker but also an over-filterer except on this tank because there isnt enough room for a second canister in the cabinet; I run two filters on every other tank. This is a 37g, plants are sparse now as I just re-scaped, except for the two exploding A. Ulvaceus. I think it's 8 gold barbs, 7 diamond tetras, 6-8 danios, one gourami, 10-12 Von Rios, 5 cories and a BN pleco.

-Lisa

#13 ·
I'm glad it's doing well! I have to cram a CO2 cylinder, Rex reactor and canister filter in half the cabinet because it's divided by a wall.

I'll pick up some Purigen, thanks for the help.

-Lisa

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.