The Planted Tank Forum banner

Removing troublesome fish

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  HD Blazingwolf 
#1 ·
I'm trying to remove some troublesome fish from a planted tank. Sometimes doing it at night works depending on the fish.

I've done this on accident in the past, but thinking it could make a fine method for removal... use the gravel vac to syphon them out.

:icon_eek::fish:

#3 ·
Which fish are you trying to remove? Maybe someone can offer a suggestion that they've found to be helpful.

#5 ·
Yup. Bring the water leave down is the only way to catch small fast fish. Take out as much decor as you can and try and work around the plants. Use 2 nets to conner them.

That's why I like big fish they are so easy to catch. I spent an hour trying to catch all my stupid galaxy danios from a planted tank.

#6 ·
I've trapped fish before. Use a container with an easy to close flip-top lid. Place in the tank and bait with food. When the fish enters the trap, close the lid slowly and gently by using a pole. Once it's closed, you can then remove the trap with the fish.

If you can, try to make the container a dark color so it will mimic a cave and not a trap. Adding plants and other decor will make the trap more inviting. Be patient as it might take a few days for the target fish to feel comfortable enough to enter the trap. Use it as a feeding station until the fish gets used to it. Then you can get him.

I always got extra fish doing this, but they were easy to put back in the tank. It was the easiest way to catch a very fast moving fish without destroying my tank.

#8 ·
Yeah, those are easy fish. Try doing the same thing in a fully planted 75g or 90g tank with loaches, SAEs, and roseline sharks! :hihi:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.