The Planted Tank Forum banner

photos of your tropicals outdoors!!!! (56k warning)!!

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  menoseloso 
#1 ·
Hello guys I'm interested in starting this thread because i've literally spent weeks and months searching for vids or pics of peoples aquarium plants outdoors other than the usual lotus and bog plants. also for tropical fish other than the typical goldfish/koi. Im interested in seeing what you guys have!! it would be interesting to see pics of how your setups are, harvesting rare plants, breeding RCS and other inverts, and logs of fish breeding or just fish in general. that would be awesome. i know people have been looking and asking. last year i didnt take any pics of my 55g stock pond, i had several species and rcs. i had Giant hair grass, ludwigia repens, sagittaria platyphylla, dwarf lily, water sprite, wisteria, vals, hygrophila polysperma, bacopa, anacharis, hornwort, najas, amazon swords. my substrate was dirted with MGOCPS with Amaco mexican pottery clay capped with sand. Currently i have set it up again i will take pics of it soon. i have even more plants in there this year i also put in giant danios to see if they breed and guppys. ok this is very long lol. ok so heres what to do post pics/vids of your ponds or whatever you keep your plants and fish in. list flora and fauna, substrate and how long you have had your setup. p.s. dont be shy with pics if you have alot of them share them. well lets see your ponds!!!!

#3 · (Edited)
Right now it is winter. The Echinodorus radicans i dug up in Arkansas has died back in dormancy, and is one of the first plants to emerge in late spring. It has survived the winters here in OHio for more years than I care to remember. The golden club i brought back from Alabama as seeds too lurk beneath the chilly surface of my winter pond as is the reed that came from there alsol I can see remants of the potamageton i found in a stream in TN and the Ludwigia i found in southern KY too waits for warmer weather. The lizards tail from here in Ohio has grown magnificently and I can see the creeping rhizome ready thrust new leaves into the warm weather we are awaiting. Lemna trisulka is unfazed, very different from its aroid cousin, duckweed, which has died back into the silt, awaiting warm weather as well. I would love to take photos for you, but it will have to wait a few months.

#5 ·

thats the point.
1. I wanted to see people with RCS in ponds... who has them apparantly no body no pictures of that or any other types of shrimp there's only experiences.

2. also with tropical fish there's only pics of danios and rainbowfish. how about angelfish or blackskirt tetras or neons right or others?

3. also with plants i know people are putting plants in their ponds other than the typical pond bog plants and anacharis, cabomba, and hornwort. wouldn't you like to see maybe a huge pond carpeted by DHG and have colonies of many types of shrimp?

that is why i posted this to do many people a favor and when they search this awesome site they'll find what it is they are looking for. and besides this is My thread that I started and I am asking people to volunteer their own pics and time and I don't want somebody to discourage them. what if i went to every thread on this site and copy and pasted your question to them? nobody will like that. so keep your discouragements to yourself and help a fellow aquarist rather than discouraging them.

#7 ·
I never thought of putting shrimp in a pond. I imagine the temp swings and predatory insects would make short work of them. Still, might be worth a try. I'm very tempted to start a pond right now, but it's just barely February and a few years ago we had snow in March. I don't want to set up a pond only for it to be frozen in a month.

I would love to see a DHG 'Belem' carpet in a pond. With some red plants around the edges... that would be awesome! The only problem would be the intensity of the sunlight might cause some issues without CO2 supplementation.

#8 ·
I have an outdoor container pond that I set up in early June and brought inside in September. The temp swings did indeed kill of the White Clouds I put in there, but the RCS bred like crazy. I put in 25-30 and ended up with 100-150 when I took it down. I could take pictures of teh container inside, but I don't think that is what you're after. I've got it in my basement with a heater and a shoplight over it.

#10 ·
Wow today my herpetology class went to a nearby scenic wetland and aside from catching snakes I encountered dhg, bacopa monnieri, dwarf lillies and marsilea macropoda everywhere! Now I know where to get dhg locally. I didn't take any pics but when im there I will. -peace

#11 ·
Update for you guys

Here is an Update I found out how to insert pics to show up in the post

Attachments

#12 ·
2/3

this is page 2/3

Attachments

#15 ·
I have it partially under a tree.. last year I had it in full sun and it was full of string algae, it looked gross then i decided to put it under the shade and it was gone in one or two days it was weird but worked.

I started early to get the plants acclimated to the soil and have them put out their roots so they can get a headstart this year... im looking forward to a bushy pond.

I have a question for you doncityz... how do I put links as my signature..I was trying yesterday but I couldnt see how.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.