The Planted Tank Forum banner

Another project

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  sbarbee54 
#1 ·
I started thinking about doing my pinto project back in August -- getting pintos from the formula I got from my friends in Taiwan, from scratch. This is a joint project between Tommy (another member who doesn't post much in this forum) and me, what else is better than having a joint project with people share the same addiction ;-)

Having some of the "ingredients" and step-by-step will take a few months. It struck me a week ago when I looked at my other project tank. If you look at the video close enough, you should see a berried tiger shrimp in there. There are actually WR and other goodies in that tank if you watch closely.

So, I searched in that tank to find what I need and found one that looks like what I want. I'm not sure of its pedigree as anything can happen in that tank, but it LOOKED like what I needed. So, I moved it to another tank where she will meet her fiancee waiting to contribute to this project.

A few days later ... here is what happened to her... picture taken two days ago.... so by the end of October I should know if I got lucky. If not, oh well, back to the original plan, a painful 3 generation formula. (yes, there are quicker way but I chose this plan)

Oh yeah, if this WORKs, I will post the formula I use. Part of it will be guessing because I can't be 100% sure what this female is.

I also acquired two Pinto mischlings from my friend, if all goes bad I will cheat again using those ;-)

See less See more
#11 ·
Hi jimko, pinto receipt can be found easily nowadays if you search for them. I didn't do anything different, it involves tigers and TB, and a lot of time waiting for it to happen. Which tigers and which TB may determine what colour you get out of them.

My understanding and guessing is, to get a pinto, you basically want to get the stripes (or somehow creating the irregular pattern from bee shrimp family, i.e. the S/SS/SSS pattern) from tigers, and the colour intensity from a TB. How you mix them doesn't really matter too much. You just get one step further in each generation.

I got some tibees that have spots (shiny ones too) on the head and body, those would be great candidate for breeding. However I only use 1 tank for this project, so I don't really know who the father is this time. Thus, I don't really know my recipe either ;-)

PS: it's just a lot of patience and a lot of luck, eventually it will happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.