The Planted Tank Forum banner

low light houseplants for HOB filters or paludarium

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  farrenator 
#1 ·
Hi all, I am making a list of houseplants that can 1) do fine in low light from a north-facing window, and 2) can survive with their roots immersed in the water of a tank or HOB filter.

I've found lists of houseplants on other threads, but they are for houseplants that are under a nice light. My plants will only get minimal lighting from a north-facing window in the winter time in upstate NY, I might add.

What I'm using so far in my tanks that do well are
  • varieties of pothos and philodendron
  • purple waffle
  • peave lilly
  • "bamboo"

I'm sorry I don't have the scientific names. It's easier to go through Lowes with the common names in hand, though ;)

I have an apartment full of houseplants, since my roommate is a plant science major. However, these plants need bright light and currently crowd our numerous south and west-facing windows. The north-facing windows are currently devoid of all plants except african violets.

Thank you all

See less See more
#2 ·
Using Low Light House Plants

Hello gaby...

You don't want to emerse the plant in the filter itself. The roots will stop up the works in the filter. Most plants will be too large to fit the filter. The land plants will be fine if you remove all the potting mixture and expose the roots and place the plant root ball under the water with the leaves above. Any leaves left under water will die.

There are several that will work. Chinese Evergreen (Aglaonema) is by far the best. Pothos is second and varieties of Philodendron are third best. There are others, but they don't grow as well. Peace lily, Impatiens and possibly Nephthytis.

Aglaonema, Pothos and Philodendron require only low, room light. That's why I use them. The best varieties of "Ag" are Cutlass and Gemini. Modestum is excellent too, if you can find it.

B

#7 ·
Hello gaby...

Pothos is second and varieties of Philodendron are third best. There are others, but they don't grow as well. Peace lily, Impatiens and possibly Nephthytis.

B
Pothos scientific name is epipremnum aureum. Wife started a 7G tank last year with the roots of this plant in it. The roots did grow everywhere and they were touching the substrate.

Algae quickly disappeared completely, I mean COMPLETELY, tank was so clean, as if it was cleaned with Javex.

Michel.

#3 ·
Wonderful, thank you so much for the great advice as usual.

Yes the peace lillies I stuffed into my HOBs from months ago do need regular root trimming. I think I will move them out of the HOB just for the sake of easy filter cleaning!

I will use one of my Impatiens and see how it does in lower light. Right now it's in an east-facing window and flowering beautifully.

#8 ·
Funny you should mention that, since I added some wandering jew and spider plants about 3 weeks ago. They have rooted well and are growing nicely. My tank has pendant lights though so they good a good blast for about 8 hours a day. If you don't have direct light I guess their growth will just be slower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.