The Planted Tank Forum banner

My first Taiwan bees

5K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  hedge_fund 
#1 ·
It seems that I am no longer challenged by my CRS/CBS since they are breeding out of control. With that said, I purchased two Taiwan Bees from Nick on here....Ruby Red Extreme (dragon markings). Not sure what the dragon markings mean but I presume it's the black patches in them.

I dropped these in my CRS/CBS tank to see what happens.

Here are some crappy iphone pics 10 minutes after they were put in the tank.

See less See more
#3 ·
My goal is that both of these are females and that they get pregnant by some of my CRS/CBS males. This would in turn create mischlings which would look like regular crs/cbs. Once these mischlings start interbreeding with other mischlings, I'll start getting random taiwan bees here and there (at least I hope). Then again, if these really flourish in my tank I'll just scrap CRS/CBS all together and just keep taiwan bees.

Here is a chart that describes this:

#13 ·
ADA Africana which is now buffering to a PH of around 5.3. I actually didn't think it would get this low but I like it right where it is. :bounce:

On a side note, I've noticed that the taiwan shrimp behave a little differently from my CRS. They seem to be more active and they LOVE hanging out on the sponge pre-filters along with the driftwood. Seems they have an extreme appetite for biofilm. With that said, you really need to have a mature tank to even think about taiwan bees. But I'll keep observing more to see whether this continues once they get a taste of the 10 different shrimp foods I constantly rotate in my regiment.

#15 ·
I think perhaps intelligence may wrongly be associated with instinct since shrimps have no brains and just a developed central nervous system. heh

HOWEVER, having said that- my Malawa are definitely harder to catch than my cherries. They have a much more aggressive instinct toward food, and a more highly developed "flight" response when trying to catch them. They also have a more powerful tail flip which makes them 2 or 3 times harder for me to catch.

Perhaps Malawa (and possibly Tigers) have held on to their wild instincts a bit better than some of the more developed "domesticated" shrimp.

Then again, they could have different instincts altogether?

#21 · (Edited)
So I just purchased some regular tigers that were raised in lower PH and will be dropping them in this tank. Hopefully they survive and can interbreed with all the other shrimp that are housed in this same aquarium (taiwan bees, crs, cbs, goldens). I have no concrete goal here...I just want some odd mixes.

#22 ·
Hey all. I took some new shots today. It's been about a week since I've added these two but they seem to be doing just great.

One thing that I do not understand about my Sony videocamera is why it changes the color as soon as I hit the "shoot" button...in other words, it's zoomed in perfectly but then it changes the color 1 second before the pic is taken.

Some nice shiny shells...

#24 ·
While having my morning coffee on this lazy Sunday, I sat there observing my tank for a good 30 minutes. I just want to stress the importance of sponge filters since these two Ruby Reds only hang out on the filters and driftwood. When I throw food in they go to it but for the most part they like the sponge filters.

I have one of these + a sponge prefilter on one of my AquaClears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.