The Planted Tank Forum banner

2 canisters

951 views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  rebelbuck1993 
#1 · (Edited)
So I ordered the sunsun304b from amazon and it didn't work because of a broken impeller. I went out and bought a fluval 406 to replace it at my lfs to have filtration then and there. Fired up my sunsun with the free new impeller and it works like a charm now. Should I return my fluval one back to my lfs? That's like 900 gph for my 55 gallon lol. Oh and I have a marineland penguin 200b 50 gallon hob.

#2 ·
I'll throw a twist at this:
LFS are a dying commodity. I've ranted about this several times and this isn't likely the last. If there's nothing wrong with the Fluval and it's now used, how does the LFS deal with that? I honestly don't know the answer, but if I were the owner I wouldn't be pleased. I've been exactly where you are with your two canisters. All I can say is I have a brand new SunSun on the top shelf of a closet waiting for the next emergency. So in a nutshell, I'd suggest keeping the SunSun as a spare(I know, easy for me to say). You can "dial back" the fluval to some extent by using a spray bar. I dunno on the Penguin. It may be overkill depending on what's in the tank and your maintenance schedule.

#4 · (Edited)
Well I think I like the sunsun more. Yes it's cheaper, but it seems to be giving really nice flow. I might keep both and reduce the flow of the fluval. Worst case secanrio I just save my fluval for another tank or something and instant cycle it. I could revamp my 29 gallon or something. I do like the idea of supporting my lfs. That's why I drive 30 mins just to go to them.
Or since my canister is like 2 days old maybe sell it 150 on Craigslist? Idk i dont want 200 just to be sitting there wasted. Im conflicted.

#6 ·
RANT:
You bought them both, you used them both, they both work fine after receiving the new impeller. Why would you even think about returning one. This is what helps to put our LFS out of business.

Solution:
Keep one of them for a backup, everyone has one or more backups sitting around don't they? If you need the cash, sell one of them (used) for as much as you can get for it.

Oh and I like the other solution best, get another tank :)

#8 ·
Some fish breed when you have no idea they will, even when someone says "they won't breed". Suddenly you have too many fish.

Some animals, especially snails, do not even need a partner, they can reproduce asexually, and you end up with multiple snails starting with one. Also some crayfish I think.

See... this is relevant, because fish tanks are like that. You'll be happy with one for a while, then in a moment of weakness you will come to and find there's a new tank in your home. You won't quite remember how it got there (or if you are married, you will claim it spontaneously appeared, or you saved some orphan child's life by catching it falling and then didn't know what to do with it... something).

You'll need that filter before you know it.

LFS or online, I agree, it's not fair to return stuff that worked as intended.

#10 ·
I'd at very least keep one for a spare, but I wouldn't even do that, I'd just run both, and know if one dies, you'lll still be covered. Those flow rates are always horribly overstated in canister filters. That's the flow rate of the pump alone, with nothing but water, and zero head. Once you throw in media and 3-4 foot of head, plus spraybar back pressure, you're looking at 50% or more reduction in flow, optomistically.

#11 ·
a 304B and a 406 is a lot for a 55G. You'll have to either throttle the flow, or do some custom spray bars to tone down the velocity of flow. It probably isn't too much total flow volume, but it will be hard to keep the volume tame enough not to be a problem for the fish.

You can throttle the flow; I have one 404B running about half volume, maybe less, in a 30g shrimp tank. Just put a ball valve in line (e.g. three little fishes have them with hose barbs you can put in line with just a cut and a couple hose clamps -- on the Sunsun; the idiotic hose from fluval is more of a problem to splice).

#14 ·
keep it as a back up trust me with alot of experience, i have had pumps die before out of the blue and had to rush to get another one which is why i keep my penguin 350, incase anything ever happened to my eheim i had a back up, also i have seen where shafts in some canisters snap and guess what then you have no filter, EX my eheims 2215 shaft snap when i was cleaning it :( and i had to order another one which was 4days out, which is now why i have a 2217 impeller in there,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.