The Planted Tank Forum banner

Your favorite (freshwater) fish

5K views 54 replies 49 participants last post by  The Dude 
#1 ·
What is everyone's top 3 favorite fish to own and watch?

Mine goes sort of like this;

1. Celestial pearl danio/ galaxy rasbora, pricey but beautiful.
2. Most gouramis, love watching these guys curiously swim around and use their little feelers to inspect things, especially when you go up to the glass and they reach out to see whats there :icon_smil
3. Cory cats, probably my favorite tank cleaner upper of all time, they get every little spec of leftover food and I love how they always stick together in tight little schools.

So, what is your favorite fish to own?!

#3 ·
Oh man, that's tough. I love all manner of catfish, loaches, and dwarf cichlids. I also really love a good school of rainbowfish in a big tank. They're beautiful and the males are constantly dueling. Unlike other kinds of fish nobody ever seems to get too hurt or stressed out from the dueling, though. I have Axelrodi (Yellow), Boesemani, Red, Blue Kamaka, and Praecox.

#5 ·
Fortunately you allowed 3, but that's still very difficult.
I've never had Discus so I cant speak to them, but Angels are my far and away #1. Each has their own personality and they are so bold and just elegant.
2. Would be any dwarf cichlid, but my recent success (after alot of failures ) with German Blue Rams has put them pretty high on the list
3. Would be between Bloodfin Tetras and Congo Tetras, I love how they can bring a tank to life.. I stare for hours on end at their antics and games. When they are out playing so is everyone else

#6 ·
Well, ever since my apistos re-scaped my tank for me, they are off the list...LOL.

1. lizard loaches...I just got some of these, and so far I absolutely LOVE them. Think goby meets hillstream loach. If you're into loaches or bottom dwellers, you should check these out!

2. Celebes rainbowfish. You could just as easily throw in signifier rainbows here. They are basically a smaller celebes.

3. OK OK...I'll still put my apistogrammas here. (But they did slide from first to third...LOL) Pretty much any dwarf cichlid. Special mention here goes to electric blue rams.

#12 ·
1. Cardinal Tetra - not sure there is anything prettier than a large school of the brightly colored red/blue mix of the Cardinal Tetra.
2. Angelfish - their power yet unassuming and slow moving nature is fantastic. I would probably put Discus here but have no experience with them.
3. Bloodfin Tetra - their quick movements, strong silver with peripheral red and again in large numbers look amazing.

Honestly I'm a large numbers of SA Tetra guy.

If we were talking anything, I love Neocardina shrimp. Just love their antics, their reproduction, and the variety of genetics you can see in a small closed population.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.