The Planted Tank Forum banner

Surface skimmer installation

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  mott 
#1 ·
So i installed the surface skimmer yesterday, not 100% sure if its installed correctly but its doing a great job so far. I had a nasty surface scum layer, even bubbles had problems trying to float above it.

But anyway the float keeps rotating?

Heres a video, excuse the quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icfUj-4fQ_U&feature=youtu.be

thanks

#5 ·
Seems to still rotate even if i point the outlet away. Must be the suction of the intake.

You know you can get a acrylic lily pipes with skimmer build in and can be attach to your fluval
Can you link me? Thanks

Which skimmer is that? I really need to add one to my tank!
Toms/Fluval Surface skimmer. They are pretty much all the same.

#9 ·
Surface skimmers are great, but the underlying problems should be addressed. The majority of the time overfeeding is the cause of it.

Try reducing the amount in a methodical way and that should help. Of course there could be another reason for the problem, but the huge majority of the time it's the volume of food.

Do you notice it gone when you do a water change and how fast does it reform after it?

#10 ·
Not every problem can can be solved by using a certain technique, I have tried everything under the sun to rid of my surface film issue short going the ro route which I wasn't about to do. Underfeeding, bubbler, raising spraybar only pushed film into the corner, did not rid of my issue. The only thing that fixed it was the extractor, been using it for two years now with no problems since the installation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.