The Planted Tank Forum banner

Your favorite (freshwater) fish

5K views 54 replies 49 participants last post by  The Dude 
#1 ·
What is everyone's top 3 favorite fish to own and watch?

Mine goes sort of like this;

1. Celestial pearl danio/ galaxy rasbora, pricey but beautiful.
2. Most gouramis, love watching these guys curiously swim around and use their little feelers to inspect things, especially when you go up to the glass and they reach out to see whats there :icon_smil
3. Cory cats, probably my favorite tank cleaner upper of all time, they get every little spec of leftover food and I love how they always stick together in tight little schools.

So, what is your favorite fish to own?!

#32 ·
Favored Fish

Let me say that in almost 30 years of being a hobbyist, I've tried many readily available fishes, and the occasional rare or hard-to-find species. A few years ago, I was putting a tank in my office and played around with a lot of scenarios in terms of stocking. I wanted it to be lively, interesting and colorful--without a ton of maintenance. At some point, I was being expected to work.

Anyhow, I came back to something I had kept as a young hobbyist, the platys and swordtails. While I'd like to consider them one big species, and some breeders or geneticists might agree with me, I'll separate them out:
1.) Xiphophorus variatus
2.) X. maculatus
3.) X. helleri

It might seem quaint that I choose them, but they can easily rival any saltwater species you got as far as coloring goes.

#39 ·
Let me say that in almost 30 years of being a hobbyist, I've tried many readily available fishes, and the occasional rare or hard-to-find species. A few years ago, I was putting a tank in my office and played around with a lot of scenarios in terms of stocking. I wanted it to be lively, interesting and colorful--without a ton of maintenance. At some point, I was being expected to work.

Anyhow, I came back to something I had kept as a young hobbyist, the platys and swordtails. While I'd like to consider them one big species, and some breeders or geneticists might agree with me, I'll separate them out:
1.) Xiphophorus variatus
2.) X. maculatus
3.) X. helleri

It might seem quaint that I choose them, but they can easily rival any saltwater species you got as far as coloring goes.
Hmm I am rediscovering the magic of these Xiphs. While I understand why you would put swordtails as 3rd (aggression?) is there any reason why you like variatus over maculatus?

#35 · (Edited)
1. Male Congo Tetra in schools of 8 or more (have females too but their drab by comparison).
2. Male German Blue Ram. Love to watch him defend his territory against an Angel fish three times his size and the colors rival some saltwater fish when he fights.
4. Any kind of shrimp, even cheapo ghost shrimp.
5. Sterba's corydoras in a school of 6.

I've got more but these are my favorite fish so far.

#38 ·
#1 Definitely Blue Rams. Even after just introducing them to the tank, they are beautiful.

#2 Corys of any kind. I have Emerald Green, but I wish I had gotten Julli Corys. They school, swim all the levels, hang out, and are really a blast to watch.

#3 Denison Barbs/Rosaline Sharks. They get big, they are peaceful, and they are beautiful fish. They are fast though, so the photo isn't that great.

Rams are just too pretty to not consider in any tank with space. Corys are a must in my opinion and are the most fun fish to watch in either of my tanks I've had. The Barbs are one of the few 6"+ fish that are truly peaceful community fish. Their colors are quite pretty too.

#42 ·
All my fish are small fish because I only have an 17Gal 60P!

1. Ember tetras - nice orange colors, perfect size for a small tank, and the longest lasting, hardiest fish I have

2. Celestial Pearl Danios - beautiful colors when mature, cool mating behavior can be observed

3. Pygmy Cories - super cute fish that usually schools/shoals

#45 ·
I prefer variatus over maculatus because of their unique look and the possibilities with hi-fin production. From what I've read, the variatus species produces better hi-fin because of the situation with the rays on the dorsal fin.

More basically, I just find them spectacular. It may not be anything I can articulate, but they were hard to get hold of as I was growing up. Plenty of maculatus later, I guess I'm recovering what was lost in childhood. Too funny.

Also, they make a better presentation. Now, I love my little "pot-belly/balloon" maculatus, but the subtle and regal look of a dancing male variatus just fascinates me. Too, their beauty is highly underestimated in comparison to the others. They don't get the credit they deserve and I always root for the underdog . . . er, underfish.

#47 ·
Now, I love my little "pot-belly/balloon" maculatus, but the subtle and regal look of a dancing male variatus just fascinates me. Too, their beauty is highly underestimated in comparison to the others. They don't get the credit they deserve and I always root for the underdog . . . er, underfish.
I have got a Marigold Platy and/or Sunset Platy- different people label it differently- the front 2/3nd is a nice bright yellow and the back 1/3rd is a dark orangish maroon.
Again different books place this variety under either maculatus or variatus. But I think it is more of the latter. He has more personality than the other males which are all maculatus.

Please share some of your hi-fin fish pics.

I personally don't like ballooned fishes- either balloon mollies, platies or any other kind.

#50 ·
I've always enjoyed watching a betta in a nice, spacious tank. (Even a couple gallons is spacious for them)
And zebra danios. They're so zippy and fun!
My black neon tetras are easily startled, but it's so cute when they dare each other to swim through the bubbler, taking turns like it's a thrill ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.